Power requirements for solar-electric sheepwagon?

• Thread starter jmlidea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on building a solar powered sheepwagon/tiny house on wheels. They mention their limited understanding of math and physics, but their interest in the practical applications. They provide details on the weight, speed, and energy sources they would like for the wagon. They also mention their concerns about climbing hills and sustaining a trip with a 12 hour period of full sun. The conversation ends with the individual asking for help in determining the necessary power and energy requirements for their sheepwagon.
jmlidea
Hi,
First off, let me say that I failed physics in high school and got myself a C- in basic calc. so I don't understand much of the math language (although I can understand its meaning). Further, I'm not an electrical engineer; however the practical applications of math, engineering, and physics is what makes me happy!

So, here's my idea:
20080424-Vagis.jpg

I want to build a solar powered sheepwagon/tiny house on wheels!

So here's the details:
The wagon will weigh about 6,000 lbs. (including batteries)
Operational speed should be about 3-5 mph.
I'd like it to run completely on solar. I'm thinking to use amorphous silicon solar cells, as they are flexible and seem to be more efficient than wafer silicon cells.
On board electrical consumption requirements (e.g. radio, water pumps, lights, laptop, cell phone) should operate on a 12 volt system through a different electrical system than the main propulsion. So don't figure these...

I would like to know only what power is required to get this sheepwagon moving, what energy is required to keep it moving, if I would be able to climb any hills, and how long a sustained trip could last given an 12 hour period of full sun.

I know it's a longshot, but I don't know the math or the physics. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you can do is determined by the energy available. Energy is measured in joules. Energy is the physics equivalent of money in our economy.

The rate you can do things is determined by the “power” of your equipment. Power is measured in watts. Equipment with a power of one watt can convert or process a maximum of one joule of energy per second.

You can gather more energy per hour of sunlight by investing in more solar panels.
You can climb hills quicker by having more powerful motors, or lighter batteries.
You buy batteries and store energy in them over a period of time. The amount of energy storage in batteries you need is determined by the highest jump you need to be able to do in the dark.
The power rating in watts of your traction motors decides the maximum rate you can climb hills.

Without batteries you can run only when sunlight is available, and your speed will then be determined by the energy your panels can generate from the available light.

The cost of the panels, batteries and motors must be invested up front. Now you should play with the numbers to work out how best to invest your money in those three pieces of equipment based on the performance you feel you can justify.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=698810

1. What are the power requirements for a solar-electric sheepwagon?

The power requirements for a solar-electric sheepwagon depend on several factors such as the size of the wagon, the number of appliances and electronics being used, and the amount of sunlight available in the area. Generally, a small sheepwagon may require around 200 watts of solar panels, while larger ones may need up to 1000 watts.

2. How many solar panels are needed for a solar-electric sheepwagon?

The number of solar panels needed for a solar-electric sheepwagon also depends on the factors mentioned above. On average, a small sheepwagon may need 2-3 solar panels, while larger ones may need 6 or more. It is best to consult with a solar panel expert to determine the exact number of panels needed for your specific sheepwagon.

3. What kind of batteries are needed for a solar-electric sheepwagon?

The type of batteries needed for a solar-electric sheepwagon will depend on the power requirements and usage. Deep-cycle batteries are the most commonly used for solar systems as they can be discharged and recharged multiple times without damage. It is important to choose high-quality, deep-cycle batteries to ensure a long lifespan for your solar-electric sheepwagon.

4. Can a solar-electric sheepwagon be used in all weather conditions?

Solar panels can still generate power on cloudy days, but they are most efficient in direct sunlight. If you plan on using your sheepwagon in areas with frequent cloudy or rainy weather, it is recommended to have a larger solar panel system to compensate for the decrease in sunlight. Additionally, proper maintenance and protection of the solar panels can also help them withstand different weather conditions.

5. How long can a solar-electric sheepwagon run on solar power?

The duration of time a solar-electric sheepwagon can run on solar power will depend on the size of the solar panel system and the amount of sunlight available. On average, a well-designed system can provide enough power for a sheepwagon to run for 2-3 days without any sunlight. However, it is always recommended to have a backup generator or additional batteries for longer trips or periods of low sunlight.