Age of Universe, Redshift & Scale Factor

In summary, to determine the age of the universe at redshift 0.6, we can use the relationships between the scale factor, redshift, and age of the universe. By setting up an equation and solving for the age, we find that the age of the universe at redshift 0.6 is 21.44 billion years.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Assume that the current age of the universe is 13.4 billion years old, and that we live in a matter-dominated, omega_m = 1, critical universe, what is the age of the universe at redshift 0.6? HINT: use the current age of the universe to pin down the proportionality relationship between age and the scale factor

Homework Equations

Some formulas that I have found are:
1+z=R(t_o)/R(t) (redshift and scale factor)
H_o= cz/d (hubble constant)
omega_m=1 means k=0 and matter-dominated together with k=0 critical universe implies that the age of the universe t_o = 2/(3H_o)
For k=0 critical universe R(t) is proportional to t^(2/3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that (t_o) proportional to (1/H_o) proportional to (1/z), but I don't know how to connect this with the scale factor...and I have no idea how to "use the current age of the universe to pin down the proportionality relationship between age and the scale factor"

Can someone please help me out? I did all the reading but was still unable to solve this problem, no matter how hard I tried...

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand that this problem may seem challenging, but with a few key concepts and equations, you can solve it.

Firstly, let's define some terms. The scale factor, denoted by "a," is a measure of the expansion of the universe at a given time. It is equal to 1 at the current time, and increases as the universe expands. The redshift, denoted by "z," is a measure of how much the wavelength of light has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe.

Now, let's look at the relationship between the scale factor and the age of the universe. As you mentioned, for a matter-dominated universe with k=0, the scale factor is proportional to t^(2/3). This means that as the scale factor increases, the age of the universe also increases. In other words, as the universe expands, it gets older.

Next, let's look at the relationship between the scale factor and the redshift. As you mentioned, 1+z=R(t_o)/R(t). Since we are assuming that we live in a matter-dominated universe with k=0 and omega_m=1, we can simplify this equation to 1+z=1/a. This means that as the scale factor increases, the redshift decreases. In other words, as the universe expands, the light from distant objects becomes less redshifted.

Now, let's use these relationships to solve the problem. We know that the current age of the universe, t_o, is 13.4 billion years. We also know that at redshift z=0.6, the scale factor is a=1/(1+0.6)=0.625. Using the relationship between the scale factor and the age of the universe, we can set up the following equation:

t_o/t=0.625^(2/3)

Solving for t, we get t=13.4/0.625^(2/3)=13.4/0.625=21.44 billion years.

Therefore, the age of the universe at redshift 0.6 is 21.44 billion years. I hope this helps you understand the problem better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Scientist

I would like to start by acknowledging the complexity of this problem and the various equations and concepts involved. It is clear that you have put in a lot of effort in researching and attempting to solve this problem on your own. I will try my best to provide a clear and concise response.

Firstly, let's define some terms and concepts. The age of the universe refers to the time since the Big Bang, which is currently estimated to be 13.8 billion years old. Redshift is a measure of how much the light from distant objects has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe. It is denoted by the symbol 'z' and is related to the scale factor, denoted by the symbol 'a', which describes how the size of the universe changes over time.

Now, onto the problem at hand. We are given the current age of the universe, t_o = 13.4 billion years, and we are asked to find the age of the universe at a redshift of 0.6. To solve this, we need to use the relationship between redshift and scale factor, which is given by the equation: 1+z = a_o/a, where a_o is the scale factor at the present time and a is the scale factor at a particular time in the past.

We are also given that we live in a matter-dominated, omega_m = 1, critical universe. This means that the matter density of the universe is high enough to counteract the expansion and keep the universe at a critical density (meaning it will neither expand forever nor collapse back on itself). In this type of universe, the age of the universe is given by t_o = 2/(3H_o), where H_o is the Hubble constant, which describes the rate of expansion of the universe.

Now, let's put all of this together. We can use the equation 1+z = a_o/a to find the scale factor at redshift 0.6, which is equal to 0.417. Plugging this value into the equation for the age of the universe in a critical universe, we get t = 2/(3H_o*a^(3/2)). Since we are given that omega_m = 1, we can use the equation H_o = cz/d, where c is the speed of light and d is the distance to the object (in this case, the distance to a redshift of 0

1. How old is the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is 13.8 billion years old. This age is determined by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang.

2. What is redshift and how does it relate to the age of the universe?

Redshift is a phenomenon where light from distant objects appears to be shifted towards longer wavelengths. This is due to the expansion of the universe, causing the wavelength of light to stretch as it travels through space. The amount of redshift can be used to calculate the distance and age of objects in the universe.

3. What is the scale factor and how is it related to the expansion of the universe?

The scale factor is a measure of how the universe has expanded over time. It is a ratio of the current size of the universe to its size in the past. The larger the scale factor, the more the universe has expanded. It is used in calculations to determine the age of the universe and to model the expansion of the universe.

4. How accurate are our measurements of the age of the universe?

Our current measurements of the age of the universe have a margin of error of about 1%. This is due to the complexity of measuring distances and redshifts of objects in the universe. However, with advancements in technology and observational techniques, our accuracy is constantly improving.

5. Is the age of the universe the same everywhere?

Yes, the age of the universe is the same everywhere. This is because the expansion of the universe is happening uniformly in all directions. However, the observed age of objects in the universe may appear different due to the effects of redshift and the speed of light.