Single slit diffraction pattern in 2D

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about single slit diffraction in 2D and the absence of diffraction patterns on the viewing screen. The participants consider the application of constructive and destructive interference in explaining this phenomenon.
alingy1
Hi all,

I was looking at previous exams and I saw a question with single slit diffraction. Please look at picture.

So, this made me think: "Wow, I never thought single slit diffraction could be applied in 2D with one pattern horizontal and the other vertical."

Then, I thought why is there no diffraction patterns along all the surface of the viewing screen. Can anyone explain why? The textbook I am using emphasizes how when a wave enters a boundary place, each point sends out its own spherical wavelet in 3D. So, why don't we see that on the viewing screen?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 11.07.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 11.07.57 AM.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Constructive and destructive interference I presume. You can draw it, we did this in first year undergrad.

1. What is a single slit diffraction pattern in 2D?

A single slit diffraction pattern in 2D is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a narrow slit and produces a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slit. This pattern is a result of the interference of light waves as they diffract through the slit.

2. How is a single slit diffraction pattern in 2D different from a 1D pattern?

In a 1D pattern, the light source and the screen are both in the same plane, resulting in a single line of bright and dark fringes. In a 2D pattern, the light source and screen are perpendicular, resulting in a pattern of multiple lines of fringes.

3. What factors affect the intensity of a single slit diffraction pattern in 2D?

The intensity of the pattern is affected by the wavelength of the light, the size of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen. The smaller the wavelength and slit size, and the larger the distance between the slit and screen, the sharper and more intense the diffraction pattern will be.

4. How is the width of the slit related to the width of the diffraction pattern in 2D?

The width of the slit and the width of the diffraction pattern in 2D are inversely proportional. This means that as the slit width decreases, the width of the pattern increases, and vice versa.

5. Can a single slit diffraction pattern in 2D be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, single slit diffraction can be observed with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and even particles like electrons. However, the pattern may differ depending on the properties of the wave.