Basic RC Circuit Homework: Calculate Time Constant & Charge Decay

In summary: Also note that the schematic shows the circuit with switches in both positions, and with the capacitor charged. The problem as stated implies that the capacitor is uncharged, and it's not clear to me what's meant by "the effective capacitor". However, using the circuit as shown, you can still find the equivalent capacitance and resistance, and the calculations are the same.In summary, the emf of the battery in the given circuit is ##\epsilon = 8.0 V##. The time constant of the circuit is ##\tau = 8.2 \times 10^{-4} s##. The charge in Coulombs when the capacitor is fully charged is ##q_{eq} = 3.4
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The emf of the battery in the given circuit is ##\epsilon = 8.0 V##.

(a) Calculate the time constant of the circuit.
(b) Calculate the charge in Coulombs when the capacitor is fully charged.

(c) If the effective capacitor is allowed to discharge through the effective resistance, show that the expression for the time taken for half of the initial charge to decay away is:

$$T_{Half} = (RC) ln(2)$$​

(d) Calculate this time.
(e) Calculate the initial current in ##mA##, just as the effective capacitor starts to discharge and assume that is was fully charged by the battery.

Homework Equations

##\epsilon = 8.0 V##
##R_1 = R_2 = 390 \Omega##
##C_1 = 5 \mu F = 5 \times 10^{-6} F##
##C_2 = 6.4 \mu F = 6.4 \times 10^{-6} F##
##C_3 = 95 \mu F = 95 \times 10^{-6} F##
##C_4 = 35 \mu F = 35 \times 10^{-6} F##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I believe they are referring to the RC time constant. So it would probably be convenient to find an equivalent resistance and capacitance for the circuit.

##R_{eq} = (\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2})^{-1} = (\frac{1}{390 \Omega} + \frac{1}{390 \Omega})^{-1} = 195 \Omega##

##C_{eq} = (\frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2 + C_3} + \frac{1}{C_4})^{-1} = (\frac{1}{5 \times 10^{-6} F} + \frac{1}{(6.4 + 95)\times 10^{-6} F} + \frac{1}{35 \times 10^{-6} F})^{-1} = 4.194 \times 10^{-6} F = 4.2 \times 10^{-6} F##

Therefore the time constant is ##\tau = R_{eq}C_{eq} = (195 \Omega)(4.194 \times 10^{-6} F) = 8.178 \times 10^{-4} s = 8.2 \times 10^{-4} s##.

(b) Suppose the top switch is closed completing the circuit. To find the charge when the capacitor is fully charged, note that the potential difference of the capacitor will be equal to the emf of the ideal battery at this time:

##q_{eq} = C_{eq}V_{eq} = C_{eq} \epsilon = (4.194 \times 10^{-6} F)(8.0 V) = 3.355 \times 10^{-5} C = 3.4 \times 10^{-5} C##

(c) Suppose the bottom switch is now closed instead. While a capacitor is discharging, the charge decreases with time according to ##q(t) = q_0e^{- \frac{t}{RC}}## where ##q_0 = q_{eq}##. Note that half of the initial charge is ##\frac{q_{eq}}{2}##. So we obtain:

##q(t) = q_0e^{- \frac{t}{RC}}##
##\frac{q_{eq}}{2} = q_{eq}e^{- \frac{T_{Half}}{RC}}##
##\frac{1}{2} = e^{- \frac{T_{Half}}{RC}}##
##\ln(\frac{1}{2}) = - \frac{T_{Half}}{RC}##
##- \ln(2) = - \frac{T_{Half}}{RC}##
##T_{Half} = RC \ln(2)##​

(d) Calculating the time we obtain:

##T_{Half} = RC \ln(2) = R_{eq}C_{eq} \ln(2) = (195 \Omega)(4.194 \times 10^{-6} F) \ln(2) = 5.669 \times 10^{-4} s = 5.7 \times 10^{-4} s##

(e)

Taking the time derivative of ##q(t) = q_0e^{- \frac{t}{RC}}##, we obtain the current ##i(t) = -(\frac{q_0}{RC}) e^{- \frac{t}{RC}}##. The initial current is given at ##t =0##:

##i(0) = -(\frac{q_0}{RC}) = -\frac{3.355 \times 10^{-5} C}{(195 \Omega)(4.194 \times 10^{-6} F)} = - 0.041 A = - 41 mA##

Where the negative sign indicates the charge is decreasing. Therefore, the initial current before discharge was ##41 mA##.

Do these look okay? I hope I haven't done anything wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a schematic to go with this?

NascentOxygen said:
Is there a schematic to go with this?

Yes I thought I had uploaded it before, here it is now:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 2.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 2.38.47 PM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 492
Zondrina said:
Do these look okay? I hope I haven't done anything wrong.

Your calculations and results look fine.

Note that for part (e) you could have simply noted that at the initial instant the capacitance had a voltage across it of 8.0 V, and that's impressed across the resistance R = 195 Ω. Then use Ohm's law to find the current at that instant.

Likes 1 person

Your calculations and steps seem correct. However, it would be helpful to provide more context and explanation for each step so that it is easier for others to follow your thought process. Additionally, it would be beneficial to include units for each value and to round your final answers to a reasonable number of significant figures. Overall, your response shows a strong understanding of the concepts and calculations involved in this basic RC circuit problem. Well done!

What is a basic RC circuit?

A basic RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit is a simple electronic circuit that consists of a resistor and a capacitor connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electric current.

How do you calculate the time constant of a basic RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of a basic RC circuit is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The formula for time constant is τ = R x C.

What is the significance of the time constant in a basic RC circuit?

The time constant represents the time it takes for the capacitor in a basic RC circuit to charge or discharge to approximately 63.2% of its total charge. It is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of RC circuits and can be used to predict the rate of charge decay.

How do you calculate charge decay in a basic RC circuit?

The charge decay in a basic RC circuit is calculated by multiplying the initial charge on the capacitor (Q0) by the factor e-t/τ, where t is the time in seconds and τ is the time constant. The formula for charge decay is Q = Q0 x e-t/τ.

What are some real-world applications of basic RC circuits?

Basic RC circuits have a wide range of applications in the real world, including in electronic devices such as radios, television sets, and computers. They are also used in timing circuits, filters, and oscillators. Additionally, RC circuits are commonly used in biomedical applications, such as in defibrillators and pacemakers.