Nuclear Reaction: (6 3)Li + (1 1)H ->?

In summary, the problem is that when (6 3)Li is bombarded with protons, the atomic and mass numbers must balance due to convervation, but the back of the book doesn't agree. Have you considered any isotopes of Hydrogen?
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

When (6 3)Li (i.e. 3 neurtrons and 3 protons) is bomarded with protons a nuclear reaction may occur in which an alpha particle is produced. What is the other product of this reaction? Write an equation for this reaction.

Homework Equations

conservation laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I got

(6 3)Li + (1 1)H -> (4 2)He +(3 2)He

but the back of the book doesn't agree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered any isotopes of Hydrogen?

The problem is the atomic and mass numbers must balance due to convervation. The question said only one other product is formed so it must be another Helium with two protons. Do you have other suggestions?

Ahh sorry, my mistake I misread the numbers :frown:. From what I can see, your reaction obeys all the relevant conservation laws (although I've only studied elementary Nuclear Physics) and your helium isotope is stable. What does the book suggest as the answer?

Usually after a nuclear reaction the product is an isotope with more neutrons than the most common isotope? (3 2)He actually has less neutrons.

But anyway, the answer suggeted (2 1)H
How can this be?

What book are you using? It seems if you use that answer and add in an alpha particle, you just get Li-6 back again. I would have added in the proton as well, but maybe the reaction is

(6 3)Li + (1 1)p -> (4 2)He + (2 1)H + (1 1)p

So you are suggesting the bombardment proton will not stick and you end up splitting (6 3)Li into an alpha particle plus a deutrium. And the original proton leaves unscathed. Conservation is certainl obeyed. That seems to make sense as the probabilty that proton sticks to the nucleus is low? Does the bombarding particle usually stick with the product of the reaction? I guess it depends on the product. (3 2)He is less stable than (2 1)H so that could be why the proton is left out on its own.

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is altered, either by combining with another nucleus or by splitting into smaller parts. This can release a large amount of energy.

2. What is the significance of the reaction (6 3)Li + (1 1)H ->?

This reaction represents the fusion of lithium-6 and hydrogen-1 nuclei, resulting in the formation of a helium-4 nucleus, a neutron, and a large amount of energy. This type of reaction is important in the study of nuclear fusion and energy production.

3. How is this reaction different from a chemical reaction?

Nuclear reactions involve changes to the nucleus of an atom, while chemical reactions involve changes in the electron configuration of atoms. In nuclear reactions, a large amount of energy is released due to changes in the nucleus, while in chemical reactions, the energy changes are due to the rearrangement of electrons.

4. Can this reaction occur naturally?

No, this reaction is not a naturally occurring process. It requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, such as those found in the core of the sun, to overcome the repulsion between the positively charged nuclei and allow them to fuse together.

5. What are the potential applications of this reaction?

One potential application of this reaction is in nuclear fusion reactors, which aim to harness the energy released from nuclear reactions to generate electricity. It is also studied for its role in the production of elements in stars and as a source of energy in nuclear weapons.