Traveling spaceships - relativity

• Thread starter tacosareveryyum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the second ship, as measured from its own rest frame should be smaller than the measured length from the frame of the other ship.
tacosareveryyum

Homework Statement

2 spaceships traveling in opposite directions pass one another at a relative speed of 1.25x18^8 m/s. The clock on one spaceship records a time duration of 9.1x10^-8 seconds for it to pass from the front end to the tail end of the other ship. What is the length of the second ship as measured from its own rest frame?

Homework Equations

lorentz transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I am guessing that the second ship, as measured from its rest frame should be smaller that measured from the frame of the other ship.
I used the basic equation v=x/t and plugged in my relative speed of 1.25x10^8 m/s and my time 9.1x10^-8 s. I got 11.38 m as the length measured by the first ship. Then I used the lorentz transformation for length and found the length of the second ship to be 10.34 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
tacosareveryyum said:

Homework Statement

2 spaceships traveling in opposite directions pass one another at a relative speed of 1.25x18^8 m/s. The clock on one spaceship records a time duration of 9.1x10^-8 seconds for it to pass from the front end to the tail end of the other ship. What is the length of the second ship as measured from its own rest frame?

Homework Equations

lorentz transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I am guessing that the second ship, as measured from its rest frame should be smaller that measured from the frame of the other ship.
Should it? Who measures the proper length and who measures the contracted length?
I used the basic equation v=x/t and plugged in my relative speed of 1.25x10^8 m/s and my time 9.1x10^-8 s. I got 11.38 m as the length measured by the first ship.
This is correct.

tacosareveryyum said:
I used the basic equation v=x/t and plugged in my relative speed of 1.25x10^8 m/s and my time 9.1x10^-8 s. I got 11.38 m as the length measured by the first ship.
Good. This is the length of the moving ship 2 as measured by ship 1.
Then I used the lorentz transformation for length and found the length of the second ship to be 10.34 m.
How did you do this? Do moving objects measure to be shorter or longer compared to their rest lengths?

Oops: Gokul43201 beat me!

Okay, I am going in circles here. Isn't a measurement of length of the moving second ship going to yield a shorter length than the measurement made in the frame of the ship.

Okay so the second ship should be measured to be 12.50 m as measured in its own rest frame.

tacosareveryyum said:
Okay, I am going in circles here. Isn't a measurement of length of the moving second ship going to yield a shorter length than the measurement made in the frame of the ship.
Exactly.

tacosareveryyum said:
Okay so the second ship should be measured to be 12.50 m as measured in its own rest frame.
Much better.

thanks!

1. How do traveling spaceships experience time differently due to relativity?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. This means that for traveling spaceships, time will pass slower the closer they get to the speed of light. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been proven through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment.

2. Can traveling spaceships travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel. This means that traveling spaceships cannot exceed the speed of light, and any attempts to do so would require an infinite amount of energy.

3. How does the concept of space-time affect traveling spaceships?

Space-time is the idea that space and time are interconnected and cannot be separated. This means that traveling spaceships not only experience changes in time but also changes in space as they move at high speeds. This can result in phenomena such as length contraction, where objects appear shorter in the direction of motion.

4. Can traveling spaceships travel through wormholes?

The concept of wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels that connect distant points in space-time, is still being studied and is not yet proven to exist. Therefore, it is currently not possible for traveling spaceships to travel through wormholes.

5. How does relativity affect the navigation of traveling spaceships?

Relativity can affect the navigation of traveling spaceships in several ways. For example, as mentioned earlier, the concept of space-time can result in changes in the length and shape of objects, making it challenging to navigate accurately. Additionally, time dilation can also cause discrepancies in the timing of events, making it crucial for spaceships to account for these factors in their navigation systems.