Acceleration vs Time Find Velocity

In summary, the graph shows that a particle moving along the x axis has an initial velocity of 8m/s at t=0. Using the equation v=u+at, the particle's velocity at t=4s can be determined to be 8m/s. The area under the acceleration-time graph, which is equal to 8 at 4 seconds, represents the initial velocity. Additionally, the equation v=u+at can also be used to find the final velocity, which is equal to the initial velocity due to the product of (at) being 0.
circuscircus

Homework Statement

The graph shows acceleration versus time of a particle moving along the x axis. Its initial velocity is 8m/s at t=0. What is the particle's velopcity at t=4s?

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6684/graphcc9.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

vi=8
ti=0
vf=??
tf=4

I was thinking of integrating y=-x+4 but I don't think I'm suppose to do that and also I don't know how to find +c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the area under an a-t graph represent?

learningphysics said:
What does the area under an a-t graph represent?

Well integrating the acceleration gets you velocity, does it not?

circuscircus said:
I was thinking of integrating y=-x+4 but I don't think I'm suppose to do that and also I don't know how to find +c.

You don't really want to integrate "y=-x+4"... with those variables.
When you integrate the function with the appropriate physical variables, what is the physical interpretation of your "c" constant of integration?

You don't need to actually do the integral [with calculus]... you can do it geometrically using learningphysics' suggestion.

Last edited:
Well the area under the chart is 8 at 4 seconds but that's the vi so how doe sthat come into play?

circuscircus said:
Well the area under the chart is 8 at 4 seconds but that's the vi so how doe sthat come into play?

Try your integration method, as well.
Now, rethink your answer.

correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe the equation v=u+at can be used, since this is a linear graph??

you know, u(initial velocity), and the product (at) is 0. the initial velocity is equal to the final velocity.

1. What is acceleration and how is it related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing. The relationship between acceleration and velocity is that acceleration is the cause of a change in velocity. For example, if an object's acceleration is positive, its velocity will increase over time.

2. How do you calculate velocity from an acceleration vs time graph?

To calculate velocity from an acceleration vs time graph, you can use the area under the curve. The slope of the curve represents the object's acceleration at any given point. Integrating the acceleration over time will give you the change in velocity over that time period.

3. Can an object have a constant acceleration and changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration and changing velocity. This can happen when the object's acceleration is in a different direction than its initial velocity. For example, if an object is moving at a constant speed in a circular motion, its velocity is constantly changing due to the change in direction, but its acceleration remains constant.

4. How does the shape of an acceleration vs time graph affect an object's motion?

The shape of an acceleration vs time graph can provide information about an object's motion. A horizontal line represents zero acceleration, and therefore the object is moving at a constant velocity. A positive slope represents an object with a constant acceleration, while a negative slope represents an object with a deceleration. A curved line indicates a changing acceleration, which can result in a changing velocity.

5. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line on an acceleration vs time graph at a specific point.