Given distance and acceleration, find time

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the time it takes for a car to travel a certain distance while decelerating at a known acceleration. The formula x=1/2*a*t^2+Vo*t is used, which results in a quadratic equation. The conversation then mentions using the quadratic formula to solve for the time variable.
ScienceGirl90

Homework Statement

A car is moving at 50.0 m/s and brakes to a halt in 6.00 seconds.
How long does it take the car to travel 70.0 m after the car starts decelerating?

Homework Equations

a=dv/dt
t=??

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I know how to find the acceleration but I'm confused as to how to set up an equation to find the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple. Use a kinematics equation that has all the variables you need in it. Think about it. You know initial velocity, the distance it travels, and the acceleration. You need to find time. Which formula has all of those variables in it? Let me know if you haven't been given those formulae, and I can give you hints on how to solve it the long way.
The acceleration is simple, remember the basic equation:

[tex]a=\frac{V_{Final} - V_{Initial}}{\Delta Time}[/tex]

For the acceleration I got -8.33 m/s2

Then for the time, do I use the equation:
x=1/2*a*t2+Vo*t

When I tried using that equation I was left with two 't' variables and couldn't get it down to one.

ScienceGirl90 said:
For the acceleration I got -8.33 m/s2

Then for the time, do I use the equation:
x=1/2*a*t2+Vo*t

When I tried using that equation I was left with two 't' variables and couldn't get it down to one.

Correct formula. However take a look at this, you have d=(stuff)t2+(stuff)t. What kind of function does that look like?

It looks like a quadratic function? I don't know how to get it to t='stuff'

You don't. You want to get t correct? Well there happens to be this thing called the quadratic formula that will solve for your quadratic variable (t in this case), where the equation is equal to zero.

Oh I see! Thank you very much!

You're welcome. Let me know how that works out. You should start with:

(stuff)t2+(stuff)t-d=0 and then plug that in.

1. How do you find time when given distance and acceleration?

To find time when given distance and acceleration, you can use the formula t = √(2d/a), where t is the time, d is the distance, and a is the acceleration. This formula is based on the kinematic equation for displacement.

2. What units should be used for distance, acceleration, and time?

Distance is typically measured in meters (m), acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²), and time in seconds (s). However, it is important to always check and use consistent units for all variables in the formula.

3. Is this formula only applicable for constant acceleration?

Yes, this formula is only applicable for constant acceleration. This means that the acceleration remains the same throughout the entire journey. If the acceleration is changing, a different formula or approach would need to be used.

4. Can this formula be used for both positive and negative acceleration?

Yes, this formula can be used for both positive and negative acceleration. Positive acceleration is when the velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) is when the velocity is decreasing.

5. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when using this formula?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of this formula, such as air resistance and friction. These factors can cause a discrepancy between the calculated time and the actual time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance with a given acceleration.