Should I Pursue Math Education Through Academia or Self-Teaching?

• Thread starter dijkarte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary, the person is interested in learning math as a hobby and is considering whether to do it through Academia or self-teaching. They have a degree in computing and feel they have the ability to learn and research on their own. However, they are hesitant about going through Academia due to limitations for advanced learners and the high costs and time commitment of a degree program. They are considering teaching themselves instead, but are seeking advice on whether this is the right decision. A suggestion is made to check out MIT's free online open courseware.
dijkarte
Hello,

I'm interested in learning math as hobbyist, so I'm not planning to do professional teaching... :)
However I'm uncertain whether I should do it via Academia or by myself. I already have a degree in computing and took several math courses, so I have the ability to teach myself and research without the need to attend classes. The problem with Academia I find it's limiting in options for advanced/mature learners, people who already poses degrees in related fields and can learn faster and more efficiently than other undergraduate students. Also, a degree program can take for long, not to mention the high costs of universities. So there's a time and money factor. And unless there's a real and strong benefits I'm unable to see for going to a university, which outweigh the downsides I mentioned, I'm seriously considering teaching myself. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What are the benefits of pursuing math education through academia?

Studying math through an academic program allows for a structured and comprehensive curriculum that covers a wide range of mathematical topics. It also provides access to experienced professors and resources such as textbooks, libraries, and research opportunities. Additionally, obtaining a degree in math education through academia can lead to better job prospects and higher salaries.

2. What are the advantages of self-teaching math?

Self-teaching math allows for flexibility in learning at your own pace and focusing on specific areas of interest. It can also be a more cost-effective option, as you can access online resources and study materials for free. Self-teaching also promotes independent thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in the field of mathematics.

3. Is it possible to combine both academia and self-teaching for math education?

Yes, it is possible to combine both approaches for math education. Many students choose to pursue a degree in math education through academia while also supplementing their learning with self-teaching methods. This can provide a well-rounded understanding of mathematical concepts and theories.

4. What are the challenges of self-teaching math?

Self-teaching math requires a high level of discipline and motivation. Without the structure of an academic program, it can be easy to procrastinate or become overwhelmed with the amount of material to cover. Additionally, self-teaching may not provide access to resources and guidance from experienced professors.

5. How can I determine which approach is best for me?

The best approach for math education will depend on individual learning styles, goals, and resources. It is important to consider your level of self-discipline, access to resources, and long-term career aspirations. It may also be helpful to consult with a math teacher or academic advisor for guidance and advice.