Bad overall GPA but good Major GPA

• Programs
  • Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa Major
In summary, the individual had a 3.07 GPA in community college but is currently on track to graduate with a 4.0 major GPA at their current university. They are wondering how their chances would look for getting into a top 50 graduate school with a 3.0 overall GPA and a 4.0 in physics, assuming average research experience and good GRE scores and recommendations. While a 3.0 is a B on the GPA scale, it would be considered a C average out of major in graduate school. However, it is possible to be accepted with a lower overall GPA if there are other strong aspects of the application, as seen in the example of a friend with a 2.6 overall GPA and a
jaydnul
I did terrible in community college and got a 3.07. I just transferred to a university and it looks like I will have a 4.0 for my major GPA at the end of the semester. I'm sure these will change by the time I graduate (especially the 4.0 haha) but just going with what i have, if a graduated with a 3.0 overall and a 4.0 in physics, what would my chances look like getting into a good grad school (maybe top 50)? Assuming i have average research experience and good GRE scores and recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
In graduate school, a C is failing. A 3.0 overall and a 4.0 in-major means about a C average out of major. So such a student will have failed half his classes. Does this sound competitive?

3.0 is B on the scale of GPA, and a 2.5 would be a C.

I have a friend who had a 2.6 overall GPA, but his major GPA was 3.4 and he was accepted into one of the top 50 schools for physics. Given his story, I would say it depends on other good records on the application.

1. What is the difference between overall GPA and Major GPA?

Overall GPA includes all courses taken, while Major GPA only includes courses specific to a student's major.

2. How does having a low overall GPA but a high Major GPA affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Graduate schools typically look at both overall GPA and Major GPA, but may place more emphasis on Major GPA if it is relevant to the program the student is applying to.

3. Can I still get a job in my field with a low overall GPA but a high Major GPA?

It is possible to get a job in your field, but having a low overall GPA may make it more difficult to compete with other candidates who have a higher overall GPA. Employers may also take into consideration the relevance of your major and your Major GPA.

4. What are some reasons for having a low overall GPA but a high Major GPA?

There could be various reasons for this, such as struggling in non-major courses, taking challenging courses outside of your major, or improving your grades over time.

5. Is it better to have a high overall GPA or a high Major GPA?

Both are important, as they demonstrate different aspects of a student's academic performance. It is ideal to have a high overall GPA and a high Major GPA, but if a student has to choose, having a high Major GPA may be more beneficial for their career in their chosen field.