Stuck between Science and Engineering.

In summary, the person is thinking about going to college this year and is undecided on which program to choose. They like working with different types of technology and want to have a lot of experiences, so they are considering a degree in engineering physics. They like the idea of having a lot of different skills and are undecided on what to do after college.
cristycs
Hello, I am thinking of going to college this year and I have 3-4 options(Physics with Computer Science, Engineering Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics)... First of all I like to have a lot different experiences, with different things, I do not want to pe specialized but more of a jack of all trades, I loved tinkering with stuff since I was young, I like working with mechanical, electrical and electronics, I am fascinated with energy sources and the conversion of energy(old and new ones), magnetism, engines, but also love to learn more about everything around me like cosmology, quantum mechanics, Earth physics, biophysics... so it is hard for me to decide on one thing. Should I try a 3 year BSc Biophysics(here the difference between physics and biophysics is the last semester), then finish the 4th year in Engineering Physics, and work from there, seeing I have a path in biotechnology, physics, engineering... ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Materials Engineering.

"Materials Engineering. " To chemistry focused and less on physics.

A technician is a jack of all trades. :p

Engineering physics sounds good for you. The program has all the physics with engineering electives, I think.

Ok I am now between Mechatronics and Engineering Physics. I also have a Electrotechnical Tehnician Diploma, and am thinking in getting Electromecanical Tehnician Diploma until I finish first semester of college, to refresh my memory, I don't know why but I am like 60% Mechatronics and 40% Engineering Physics.

You should look at where graduates end up after both degrees and decide. Did you plan on graduate school?

Nope, no plans yet for graduate school. But I am always looking at masters. The thing is I am not impressed by Mechatronics/Mechanical/Electrical... Engineering masters, but I do like some of the physics/Engineering Physics masters, like Earth and Atmospheric Physics; Interdisciplinary master: Integrated approach to natural sciences; Atomic and Nuclear Interactions, Elementary Particles, Astrophysics and Applications,

Also I find Environmental Engineering interesting.

Last edited:
You might shoot yourself in the foot with mechatronics if you're more interested in physics.. Some EE grads I know only had to do first series of physics.. Probably the same for mechatronics. You can always look at the schools you're applying to and check the course catalog and go from there.

I am pretty sure I want to go into renewable and alternative energy sources, and try to improve or create vehicle designs(the entire vehicle), or something that people can use in their home for heating, electricity...

The only thing I like about Mechatronics is that is more hands-on and is a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, control engineering and computer engineering.

That might be a tall order to fill, take the vehicle example. Most likely you'd be working with a team one part of a vehicle, not the whole thing. A degree in any engineering could probably land you in some niche of the vehicle design. Alternative energy might require physics or it might be better suited to chem engineers, depending on the research. (Applied or basic.) that type of work would most likely require a masters.. The best thing to do is to research the degrees and possible places you might seek employment after those degrees, what kind of skills those industry's most want. Mechatronics might be good for cars, such as lithium/air batteries/control systems and what not. Engineering physics probably leaves just as many doors open to you, however, in that field.

Either degree will provide for opportunity, but degrees are just means to an end. Research that ending too.

"That might be a tall order to fill, take the vehicle example. Most likely you'd be working with a team one part of a vehicle, not the whole thing." Depends on the scale of the project... could be a skateboard, could be a bicycle, or something with 4 wheels. Was thinking of starting a project and make an electrical skateboard/mountainboard with separate unit that charges the battery with solar, wind, heat to electricity(for fun of course, and to have a new transportation :D)

1. What is the difference between science and engineering?

Science is the study of the natural world, seeking to understand how things work and why they behave in certain ways. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific knowledge to design and create solutions to real-world problems.

2. Which field has better job opportunities, science or engineering?

Both science and engineering have excellent job opportunities, but it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Science careers may involve research and development, while engineering careers may involve design, testing, and implementation.

3. Can someone have a career in both science and engineering?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both science and engineering. This could involve working in a research and development role that requires both scientific knowledge and engineering skills.

4. Is it necessary to have a degree in both science and engineering to pursue a career in this field?

No, it is not necessary to have degrees in both science and engineering to pursue a career in this field. Many professionals have degrees in one field and gain the necessary skills and knowledge through on-the-job training or additional education.

5. Which field, science or engineering, is more important for technological advancements?

Both science and engineering are crucial for technological advancements. Science provides the knowledge and understanding of natural phenomena, while engineering applies that knowledge to create innovative and practical solutions that improve our lives.