Physics Professor teaching Math with no book assigned to the course

In summary: It is not mandatory to read anything else besides the materials provided in the course. However, it is always beneficial to have a variety of resources at your disposal, in case you encounter a question you do not have an answer to. It's not mandatory, but it's always beneficial to have a variety of resources at your disposal. It's not mandatory, but it's always beneficial to have a variety of resources at your disposal.
lonewolf219
Just wondering what anyone else thinks about one of the physics professor's at my university teaching a mathematical methods course strictly from notes. He did not assign a textbook.

Most of the material I have not seen before. Is this common? This course was restructured halfway through the school year, and the professor has admitted to writing the notes the night before class. I can't help feeling shorthanded. There is no suggested reading material AT ALL. Am I wrong to think he cannot possibly communicate everything he should be communicating through his lecture notes thrown together at the last minute?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts about this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! One of my professor's has mentioned her before...

It's not uncommon to teach from lecture notes, it's more uncommon to not list any supplementary texts. You can always just ask your instructor what it recommends.

In my experience it's very common to teach from notes. Out of all my math classes, only the two semesters of statistics I took were taught from a textbook, and the instructor's notes were different from the textbook (a good thing in this case). The syllabus for each class I have taken did have a list of suggested references, though. I really like it when professors teach from their own notes; it really helps especially when you read the course textbook.

This is common. The best courses I took were based on professors notes and not on texts - both in undergrad and grad school (EDIT: come to thing of it, I can think of NO graduate course I took that was strongly based on a book...). It is unusual to not recommend books that are worth looking at, or to not put books on reserve in the library. But my hunch is that you are actually getting a course that the professor has actually thought through and hopefully not thrown together at the last minute. It would be much easier for her/him to simply pick a book and march through it.

Check out your library to look at math methods books. If you find one you think could help, check it out. Also, used copies of old editions of many math methods books can be found online (places like amazon) for cheap. Finally, there are some free books online. Here is one by Prof. Nearing at Miami:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/details.php?ebook=104
the www.e-booksdirectory.com site has MANY books.

jason

Interesting! OK, I will try to embrace a different teaching style than I am used to, and check out the library... Thanks for your thoughts guys!

lonewolf219 said:
Most of the material I have not seen before. Is this common?

Isnt this supposed to be the case all the time unless you are throttling down to maximize your GPA?

I am just surprised that a professor would think it was a good idea to limit our information on a new topic.

Is he forbidding you from reading anything else? :eek:

The professor's notes are surely based on notes by the professor teaching the course before him. It's not mandatory for him to follow in the footsteps of his predecessors, of course. Each lecturer must/should have the decency of bringing some novelty into his classes, if not in course content, then perhaps in presentation (to include an important proof for example).

But simply not providing a bibliography to his course is not tragic. His intention is that his students do not get distracted from his material by reading things they may not need.

Fortunately, you have PF to ask about supplimentary reading.

And nothing prevents you from going to your professor and asking for some supplementary reading.

I already asked, and he did not provide any information other than to say just use your old physics books. I did buy a mathematical methods book that I thought would be good, but so far it is not much help. I should have asked PF first! The library carries the Mary Boas book jtbell mentioned earlier, which I plan to check out. Thanks for the advice

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a physics professor teaching math and a math professor teaching math?

A physics professor is trained in the field of physics and may approach teaching math with a different perspective or focus compared to a math professor who specializes in teaching math.

2. How will the lack of a textbook affect the course?

The lack of a textbook may require the professor to create their own materials or use other resources in order to teach the course effectively. This may also give the professor more flexibility in the topics and methods covered.

3. Will the lack of a textbook make the course more challenging?

It may depend on the individual student, but the lack of a textbook may require students to take more detailed notes and rely on other resources such as lecture slides or online materials. However, this may also encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How will assignments and exams be structured without a textbook?

The professor may create their own assignments and exams based on the materials covered in class or use other resources such as online practice problems. This may also allow for more creativity and application of concepts rather than simply regurgitating information from a textbook.

5. What can students do to prepare for a course with no assigned textbook?

Students can reach out to the professor for any recommended resources or materials to review before the course begins. They can also attend lectures and take detailed notes, participate in class discussions, and actively engage with the material to better understand and retain the information.