Best Book for Learning Electricity and Magnetism on Your Own?

• Studying
  • Thread starter ATurner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking to learn about electricity and magnetism on their own and asking for book recommendations. Members suggest Physics books, specifically the book "Physics" by Hausmann and Slack, as well as an online self-study course from MIT called "Electricity and Magnetism." Another suggestion is the 1st edition of "Electric and Magnetic Interactions" by Chabay and Sherwood.
ATurner
Hello,

First, I'd like to apologize if there is a more appropriate forum to post this question in, but this looks like the best one.

I am looking to learn about Electricity and Magnetism on my own. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good book to get me started. I would like a book that starts with the most fundamental concepts, but it's not necessary.

Thank you for your help. (:

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics books are the best place to start.

This one is ancient (1939), but it is my favorite.
Physics by Hausmann and Slack, second edition

ATurner, Welcome to Physics Forums! This is NOT a textbook, but it is an online self-study course from MIT:

"This freshman-level course is the second semester of introductory physics. The focus is on electricity and magnetism, including electric fields, magnetic fields, electromagnetic forces, conductors and dielectrics, electromagnetic waves, and the nature of light.

This course has been designed for independent study. It includes all of the materials you will need to understand the concepts covered in this subject."

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02sc-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-fall-2010/

If you have any doubts or specific questions during your self-study, do come right back here and post them. Members here are always ready and willing to assist any true searcher trying to learn science.

Bobbywhy

I think that the 1st edition of Chabay and Sherwood's "Electric and Magnetic Interactions" is the best intro. It will take you through some hands-on activities and prepare you for a text like Purcell. It explores how circuits work through the concept of electric field and surface charge, which is somewhat unique. It's really great for self-study, if you can find a copy. I'm not sure how great the newer editions are, I have only seen the 3rd and it looked completely different.

I would recommend "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. This book covers the fundamental concepts of electricity and magnetism, starting with basic principles and building up to more complex topics. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for self-study. Additionally, it includes many examples and problems for practice, as well as a solutions manual for further understanding. I have personally used this book in my own studies and have found it to be an excellent resource for learning about electricity and magnetism. I hope this helps and happy learning!

1. What are the best textbooks for [specific subject/field]?

The answer to this question depends on your personal learning style and the specific course or field you are studying. It's best to consult with your professors or colleagues for recommendations, as they may have different perspectives and experiences with different textbooks.

2. Are there any free or affordable textbook options available?

Yes, there are several resources for free or affordable textbooks, such as OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and Textbook Revolution. You can also try renting textbooks or purchasing used copies to save money.

3. Can you recommend textbooks that cover multiple subjects/topics?

Yes, there are textbooks available that cover multiple subjects or topics, such as integrated science textbooks for high school students or interdisciplinary textbooks for college students. It's best to research and compare different options to find the one that best fits your needs.

4. How do I know if a textbook is up-to-date and relevant?

It's important to check the publication date of a textbook and compare it to the current research and developments in the field. You can also look for reviews or ask for recommendations from experts in the field to ensure the textbook is relevant and up-to-date.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that go along with recommended textbooks?

Many textbooks now come with online resources, such as practice quizzes, interactive activities, and supplemental readings. It's best to check with the publisher or the textbook's website to see if there are any additional resources available for the textbook you are interested in.