MIT Dreams: What does it really take?

• Thread starter lonewolf219
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams Mit
In summary, getting into grad school at MIT requires excellent grades and an effectively perfect GRE/PGRE score. Original research and strong letters of recommendation are also important, as well as a polished statement of purpose. Luck, dedication to physics, and being a female or racial minority may also play a role in the admissions process. It may be easier to get in if you come from a well-known undergraduate institution in physics. However, it is important to consider other top graduate schools in physics besides MIT.
lonewolf219
What does it really take to get into grad school at MIT?? What GRE scores? Does a single publication make a difference? Two? Three publications? Summer REU programs? Letters of recommendation from an alum? Is there an oral entrance exam? On the realm of great, how great do you need to be? Are they judging candidates on potential for future RESEARCH success? Or on past demonstrated ACADEMIC success?? I still have two years left. If this is my goal (ignoring whether or not when the time comes I could even get accepted) what kind of advice do you have for a driven sophmore/junior? What would I need to really stand out?

I'd love to hear it straight from the horse's mouth! If you got your PhD from MIT, please share your experience with me :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The following is my impression for what the Average American Physics Undergrad (ie a white male who is an American Citizen) at An Average American Physics University has to do to get into such a caliber grad school.

You should have effectively perfect grades.
You should obtain an effectively perfect GRE/PGRE score.
You should do original research and have stellar letter of rec from your research advisor stating you are (one of, if not the) best undergrads (s)he has ever advised.
You should write a polished and professional statement of purpose stating clearly your research goals for graduate school and why MIT is the best fit for you.
You should have a lot of luck.

You should also live, eat and breath physics. You should be sure that no matter how hard you work at physics, how crappy it is sometimes, it is all you want to do.

It seems to be more likely for you to be accepted if you are female or of a "racial minority."
It seems to be less likely for you to get in if you are not an American citizen.
If you went to an undergraduate institution of comparable physics program as MIT it seems to be easier than if you are from a relatively unknown school.

That said, why MIT? There are plenty of extremely high quality grad schools in physics across the country. For some areas of physics, perhaps better than MIT.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. Vanadium, I was just reading one of your comments last night and thought it was one of the best I've seen!

Zombie, thanks for your honesty... excellent critique.

I can say that getting into grad school at MIT is a highly competitive and rigorous process. It takes a combination of many factors to be considered for admission, and there is no one-size-fits-all formula for success. Your GRE scores, while important, are not the only deciding factor. MIT also looks at your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. A single publication may make a difference, but it is not a guarantee of admission. Two or three publications can certainly strengthen your application, but they are not a requirement.

Participating in summer REU programs can also be beneficial as it shows your commitment to research and your ability to work in a team. Letters of recommendation from an alum can also be helpful, but they should be from individuals who can speak to your academic and research abilities. There is no oral entrance exam at MIT, but your personal statement and interview may serve as a way for the admissions committee to assess your potential for success in graduate school.

At MIT, they are looking for candidates who have a strong academic background and have demonstrated potential for future research success. While past academic success is important, it is not the only factor they consider. They also want to see your passion for research and your potential to contribute to the scientific community.

As for advice for a driven sophomore/junior, my suggestion would be to focus on your academic performance and research experience. Take challenging courses and excel in them. Get involved in research projects and aim for publications or presentations at conferences. Network with professors and alumni who can provide strong letters of recommendation. And most importantly, stay passionate and dedicated to your goals.

I did not attend MIT for my PhD, but I can tell you that getting into any top graduate program requires hard work, dedication, and determination. It's important to not only have a strong academic record, but also to stand out in other areas such as research, leadership, and community involvement. So my advice would be to continuously strive for excellence in all aspects of your academic and personal life. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is MIT Dreams: What does it really take?

MIT Dreams: What does it really take? is a book written by a group of MIT alumni and students that shares their personal experiences and insights on what it takes to succeed and thrive at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

2. Who would benefit from reading this book?

This book would be beneficial for anyone interested in attending MIT, current MIT students, or anyone curious about the inner workings of one of the top universities in the world. It can also provide valuable insights for students looking to apply to other prestigious universities.

3. What type of information can be found in this book?

This book covers a range of topics including the admissions process, academic and research opportunities, campus life, and career prospects after graduation. It also includes personal stories and tips from the authors on how to make the most out of the MIT experience.

4. Is this book only relevant to students studying STEM fields?

While MIT is known for its strong focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields, this book offers valuable insights and advice for students studying a variety of disciplines. It also discusses the importance of a well-rounded education and the opportunities available for students in non-STEM fields at MIT.

5. Can I apply the lessons and advice from this book to other universities?

While this book is specifically about MIT, many of the lessons and advice shared by the authors can be applied to other universities as well. The authors also give general tips and strategies for academic success and personal growth that can be useful for students at any university.