What is the difference between General Physics and Physics?

In summary, the speaker advises the person to check their college or university's website for course descriptions to understand the difference between General Physics and Physics. They also mention that this may vary between schools, including high schools.
Pearlsaul
I was going to register for a science class but found out that there's General Physics and just Physics. What's the difference between the two? Which class is more challenging?Ω

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's for college/university, look on their web site. It should have course descriptions.

I'm really not just being snarky here. There are different types of introductory physics courses, and different names, and you can't count on the types and names to match up the same way between different colleges.

Ditto for high schools, although I don't know if high schools typically put course descriptions on their web sites. (It's been a long time since I was in high school!)

Pearlsaul said:
I was going to register for a science class but found out that there's General Physics and just Physics. What's the difference between the two? Which class is more challenging?Ω

This is school-specific. So ask your school.

Zz.

What is the difference between General Physics and Physics?

General Physics is a broad field of study that covers the fundamental principles of physics, while Physics is a more specific branch of science that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

What topics are covered in General Physics?

General Physics covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, waves and optics, and modern physics.

What topics are covered in Physics?

Physics covers a variety of topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It also includes subfields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.

Is there a difference in the level of mathematical rigor between General Physics and Physics?

Yes, there is typically a difference in the level of mathematical rigor between General Physics and Physics. Physics courses often require a higher level of mathematical understanding and use more advanced equations and calculations.

Which field of study is more commonly used in practical applications?

Both General Physics and Physics have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. However, Physics is often more directly applied in these fields due to its focus on more specific principles and theories.