Exploring Element Band Gap: What Determines the Size and How Can It Be Altered?

In summary, the band gap of an element is mainly determined by its fermi energy level and can vary depending on temperature and alloy concentration. It is a complex concept that is influenced by the atomic structure and crystal bonding of the material. Calculating the band gap requires demanding quantum mechanical calculations.
easyconcepts
Might be an easy question (or not).

What determines the band gap of an element? As far as I know, silicon is the most efficient single-element semiconductor because of it's small (but nonzero) bandgap. Next (as far as I know) is Selenium. I'm aware there are more efficient compounds, but that's outside the scope of the question anyway.

So what about the element is responsible for band gap size? What could you change (theoretically) if creating a new element (I said theoretically!) that would reduce band gap size? More electrons per first valence band? Or per conduction band? Is this restricted by other forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "efficient"?

Sorry, I'm not the most well versed in physics. I was under the impression that the smaller band gap of silicon made it a "better" semiconductor (ie better suited for computing) at room temperature at Earth's atmospheric pressure, be that through bonding properties or otherwise. Maybe you can fill in a few gaps?

Last edited:
To clarify..

Consider a semiconductor with a relatively "small" band gap. Electrons require less energy to "move", correct? So if you had an element with a band gap significantly smaller than that of silicon, it would require less voltage to move the same electrons, and thus less energy is needed for the same computing power? Am I correct so far?

This is what I had meant by efficient.

easyconcepts said:
To clarify..

Consider a semiconductor with a relatively "small" band gap. Electrons require less energy to "move", correct? So if you had an element with a band gap significantly smaller than that of silicon, it would require less voltage to move the same electrons, and thus less energy is needed for the same computing power? Am I correct so far?

This is what I had meant by efficient.

The energy electrons require to move in a homogeneous does not depend directly on the band gap. In integrated circuits what is more important is the resistivity of pn junctions in field effect transistors. I don't understand this very well, but probably other factors like the dielectric constant etc are as important as the band gap.

Btw. Germanium has a lower band gap than Si and is therefore used often in transistors or diodes which shall work at low voltage.

The band gap of an element is determined mainly by the fermi energy level of the element, which is a purely quantum mechanical consideration... this parameter is the one who have to vary to get better electric conductivity in semiconductors. There is an equation for determining the band gap (I'll put the one in wikipedia since I don't have a book with me right now where I can check it but I guess it's correct):

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banda_prohibida#La_ecuaci.C3.B3n_de_la_banda_prohibida

where kB is the Boltzmann constant, εk is the kinetic energy over the fermi energy level and V is the interaction potential between the cooper pair of electrons

From the wikipedia page you were citing:
"La banda prohibida superconductora Δ, a veces conocida como gap superconductor, a pesar de su nombre, no está relacionada con la banda prohibida de semiconductores"

Obviously, also the band gap in semiconductors can be calculated. However there is no simple formula but you have to do quite demanding quantum mechanical calculations on a computer.

First of all, the bandgap of a certain material is not constant. It depends on temperature. The Varshni empirical model does a pretty good job of modeling the temperature dependence. The bandgap also depends on alloy concentration; by adding a small amount of another material, e.g. Aluminum to Gallium Arsenide, you can tailor the bandgap to a desired size.

Secondly, the bandgap changes from material to material and is a function of the atomic structure of the constituent atoms as well as the nature of the crystal bonding. For instance, graphite and diamond are both made of pure carbon crystals, but they have vastly different bandgaps. The band gap is the difference in energy between the bottom of the conduction band and the top of the valance band. The prediction of band structures of solids using quantum theory is very complex and is its own field of study.

1. What is an element band gap?

An element band gap refers to the energy difference between the highest occupied energy level (valence band) and the lowest unoccupied energy level (conduction band) of an atom or molecule. It determines the electrical conductivity and optical properties of a material.

2. How is the size of the element band gap determined?

The size of the element band gap is determined by the electronic structure of the material, specifically the arrangement of electrons in the valence and conduction bands. Materials with a larger band gap have a larger energy difference between the two bands, making them less conductive.

3. What factors can alter the size of the element band gap?

The size of the element band gap can be altered by various factors, such as the chemical composition of the material, external stimuli like pressure or temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the crystal lattice. Manipulating these factors can increase or decrease the band gap size, changing the material's properties.

4. How does the size of the element band gap affect a material's properties?

The size of the element band gap plays a crucial role in determining a material's properties. Materials with a larger band gap are generally insulators or semiconductors, while those with a smaller band gap are typically conductors. The band gap size also affects the material's optical properties, such as its color and transparency.

5. Why is studying the element band gap important?

Studying the element band gap is essential for understanding and predicting the properties of materials. It allows for the development of new materials with specific properties, such as high conductivity or transparency. Additionally, understanding the element band gap is crucial for advancements in fields like electronics, optoelectronics, and renewable energy.