Solve Quadratic Equations: Find Coordinates of Turning Point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of the turning point of a parabola, specifically at the vertex. The suggested methods are to set the derivative equal to zero and solve or to complete the square on the function. The conversation also mentions that the turning point is where the graph of the polynomial changes direction from going downwards to going upwards. It is determined that completing the square on the function will lead to the solution.
footprints
[tex]y=4x^2-8x-5[/tex] Find the coordinates of the turning point of the curve. Where do I even start?

Physics news on Phys.org
With the definition of turning point.

I don't know that.

Well, then, that's where you need to start. What does your book have to say, or your notes?

(Incidentally, what level math is this?)

My book doesn't say anything about the definition of a turning point. I'm in grade 9.

If you mean the minimi/maximi-point of the curve, you can set the derivate equal to zero and solve. Wait a minute, it must be an another way... Try to completting the square on the function...

Where did you see the problem?

If I had to guess what it meant, I would say the point where the graph of the polynomial stops going downwards and starts going upwards. Since it's a parabola, that would be its vertex.

Try to completting the square on the function
Since it's a parabola, that would be its vertex.
Oh Yes! Now that you guys mention that, I know what to do now :rolleyes: Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it contains one variable raised to the power of two. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values of a, b, and c from the equation and solve for x. You can also use factoring or completing the square methods.

3. What is the turning point of a quadratic equation?

The turning point of a quadratic equation is the highest or lowest point on the parabola that the equation forms. It is also known as the vertex of the parabola.

4. How do I find the coordinates of the turning point?

To find the coordinates of the turning point, you can use the formula x = -b / 2a to find the x-coordinate. Then, plug this value into the original equation to solve for the y-coordinate. The coordinates will be in the form (x, y).

5. Can I use a calculator to find the coordinates of the turning point?

Yes, most scientific or graphing calculators have a function to find the coordinates of the turning point. Simply enter the quadratic equation into the calculator and use the appropriate function to find the coordinates.