Energy calculation for HVAC systems

In summary, Approximating the heating and cooling costs for an occupied tenant space in a commercial office building has proven to be a difficult task due to the high cost of installing gauges and the complexity of the variables involved. One possible solution is to use a computer modeling program, such as the one offered by Trane, to get a realistic estimate. Accessing resources from organizations like ASHRAE can also provide guidance in this process.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
I've been asked to approximate a dollar amount for heating and cooling an occupied tenant space in a commercial office building.

We've looked into installing a temporary gauge on each unit to give us a good approximation, but the cost to gauge up all the electrical and gas was beyond the scope of what I'm allowed. I even looked at just gauging up a few and approximating the rest, but that wasn't feasible either.

The only variables I can provide are square footage, head count, and a possible computer count.

Any ideas on how I can come up with a reasonable number? Any help is appreciated.

Mac

Additional Info - This space is controlled by 8 package rooftop Lennox units, varying between 3 and 7 tons.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ASHRAE provides standard heating and cooling procedures for estimating heating and cooling energy balances. See if you can access any of their handbooks or technical standards at your school or company library.
www.ASHRAE.orgor get an estimate from a heating and air conditioning contractor or your local utility.

The only way to get a realistic estimate is to use a computer modeling program.

NUCENG said:
ASHRAE provides standard heating and cooling procedures for estimating heating and cooling energy balances. See if you can access any of their handbooks or technical standards at your school or company library.
www.ASHRAE.org

Thanks for the link. I'll look through it.

russ_watters said:
The only way to get a realistic estimate is to use a computer modeling program.

That's what I was afraid of. There are just too many variables to take into account.
Just curious, what kind of program could model this? I haven't delved into anything like that yet.

Mac

MacLaddy said:
That's what I was afraid of. There are just too many variables to take into account.
Just curious, what kind of program could model this? I haven't delved into anything like that yet.

Mac
http://www.trane.com/Commercial/Dna/View.aspx?i=1136

Free 30 day trial...

Thanks Russ! I'll give it a shot. (although I doubt I'll be able to accomplish much without training)

1. How do you calculate the energy consumption of an HVAC system?

The energy consumption of an HVAC system can be calculated by multiplying the power of the system (in watts) by the time it operates (in hours). This will give you the energy usage in watt-hours (Wh). For example, if a system has a power of 1000 watts and operates for 8 hours, the energy consumption would be 1000 watts x 8 hours = 8000 watt-hours (or 8 kilowatt-hours, or 8 kWh).

2. What factors affect the energy consumption of an HVAC system?

The energy consumption of an HVAC system is affected by several factors, including the size and efficiency of the system, the climate and temperature of the building, the building's insulation and air sealing, and the frequency and duration of use.

3. How can energy consumption be reduced in HVAC systems?

Energy consumption in HVAC systems can be reduced by using energy-efficient equipment, regularly maintaining and tuning the system, having proper insulation and air sealing in the building, and implementing energy-saving practices such as using programmable thermostats and turning off the system when not in use.

4. What is the difference between energy efficiency and energy conservation in HVAC systems?

Energy efficiency refers to the ability of a system to use energy with minimal waste, while energy conservation refers to the practice of using less energy overall. In HVAC systems, energy efficiency can be achieved through the use of energy-efficient equipment, while energy conservation can be achieved through practices such as turning off the system when not needed or using natural ventilation instead of air conditioning.

5. How can the energy consumption of an HVAC system be accurately measured?

The energy consumption of an HVAC system can be accurately measured using an energy meter or a submeter specifically designed for HVAC systems. These devices measure the amount of energy being used by the system and provide data for calculating energy consumption and for identifying potential areas for energy savings.