Surface tension and concentration

In summary: If you wash the device or not, whatever adheres to the device is brought into the next sample.I think it's safe to assume that there would be a fair amount of residual butanol on the device after each measurement.
shayan825
when we try to measure surface tension of different concentrated solutions of n-butanol with a tensiometer, we have to go from lower to higher concentration and not the other way around. what is the reason for that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
shayan825 said:
when we try to measure surface tension of different concentrated solutions of n-butanol with a tensiometer, we have to go from lower to higher concentration and not the other way around. what is the reason for that?

Firstly what does 'go from' mean? Describe an experimental procedure in such a fashion we will know what it means.

Then try and make a hypothesis yourself.

epenguin said:
Firstly what does 'go from' mean? Describe an experimental procedure in such a fashion we will know what it means.

Then try and make a hypothesis yourself.

We have n-butanol solutions ranging from 0.1 to 0.8 M, which we are supposed to measure their surface tensions. We have to start from the most dilute solution and go up in concentration until we reach 0.8 M. We cannot start from the most concentrated one and go to the most dilute one or just randomly pick a solution and measure the surface tension.

shayan825 said:
We have n-butanol solutions ranging from 0.1 to 0.8 M, which we are supposed to measure their surface tensions. We have to start from the most dilute solution and go up in concentration until we reach 0.8 M. We cannot start from the most concentrated one and go to the most dilute one or just randomly pick a solution and measure the surface tension.

If you were asked to measure surface tensions and your posts were the description of how to do it, would you have any clue what to do?

If you can describe exactly what you do maybe someone can help (unfortunately I have to go now).

epenguin said:
If you were asked to measure surface tensions and your posts were the description of how to do it, would you have any clue what to do?

If you can describe exactly what you do maybe someone can help (unfortunately I have to go now).

we measure it in increasing order by using a tensiometer that has ring.Anyone familiar with that maybe can help? thanks

Well I have to guess these were not experiments starting each time completely afresh, the result of a measurement should always be the same. I guess you used the same wire and changed butanol concentrations adding butanol "going up" and diluting it "going down". It has the sound of failure to attain equilibrium. Perhaps as you dilute it is difficult for the butanol that has attached to the wire to dissociate, some always sticks there and equilibrium is not attained. Perhaps even if you dip it in water between measurements. I don't know anything about this but that is an obvious possibility.

How you clean what I read is such a delicate thing I have no idea.

we did it using du nouy ring method. we calibrated the instrument with water and then measured the surface tension of each solution in an increasing order. the solutions were prepared from before.

epenguin said:
Well I have to guess these were not experiments starting each time completely afresh, the result of a measurement should always be the same. I guess you used the same wire and changed butanol concentrations adding butanol "going up" and diluting it "going down". It has the sound of failure to attain equilibrium. Perhaps as you dilute it is difficult for the butanol that has attached to the wire to dissociate, some always sticks there and equilibrium is not attained. Perhaps even if you dip it in water between measurements. I don't know anything about this but that is an obvious possibility.

How you clean what I read is such a delicate thing I have no idea.

we did it using du nouy ring method. we calibrated the instrument with water and then measured the surface tension of each solution in an increasing order. the solutions were prepared from before.

shayan825 said:

Did you measure with water in between butanol measurements?

epenguin said:
Did you measure with water in between butanol measurements?

No, we didnt.

I bet epenguin is correct. My guess is that it is a way to eliminate the error of contamination from previous samples, and to preserve the molarity of the samples to be as close as possible to their expected value.

You do know what M means - moles/L. Butanol has a molecular weight of 74.12g/mole. Approximately a 0.1M solution has 7 grams and an 0.8M would have about 56 grams of butanol. You could calculate more exacting values.

If you wash the device or not, whatever adheres to the device is brought into the next sample.

Estimate how much residue would be left on the device after checking a sample, with no washing, and then calculate how much this residue would change the M of the next sample, if you go up or down.
See if the percentage error due to contamination is different going up from going down -is it less, or more?
Does the percentage error vary as you progress from sample to sample, or is it constant?

That might be the answer.

It probably does not make that much of a difference for your experiment, but for an exacting experiment it might be something to genuinally consider.

( Also, as a final note, a possible error could come about if you do start at the high value of M, that a drop of the high M liquid that you do not notice clings to the device and does not drop until you measure a lower value, which could just skew things up. )

Likes 1 person

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that describes the cohesive forces between molecules at the surface of the liquid. It is the reason why liquids tend to form droplets and maintain their shape on a surface.

2. How is surface tension affected by concentration?

The surface tension of a liquid is directly proportional to its concentration. This means that as the concentration of a liquid increases, its surface tension also increases. This is because more concentrated liquids have stronger molecular interactions, resulting in a higher surface tension.

3. Can surface tension be measured?

Yes, surface tension can be measured using a variety of techniques such as the drop weight method or the capillary rise method. These methods involve measuring the force required to break the surface tension of a liquid or the height to which a liquid can rise in a capillary tube, respectively.

4. How does surface tension affect floating and sinking?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in determining whether an object will float or sink in a liquid. If the surface tension of the liquid is greater than the weight of the object, the object will float. If the surface tension is less than the weight of the object, it will sink.

5. Can surface tension be changed?

Yes, surface tension can be changed by altering the concentration of the liquid, temperature, or by adding substances such as surfactants. Surfactants are molecules that can lower the surface tension of a liquid by disrupting the cohesive forces between the molecules at the surface.