Register to reply

Factorization of integers

by matqkks
Tags: factorization, integers
Share this thread:
matqkks
May23-14, 08:30 AM
P: 153
Why is factorization of integers important on a first number theory course? Where is factorization used in real life? Are there examples which have a real impact? I am looking for examples which will motivate students.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
SteamKing
May23-14, 08:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,723
I'll take a stab.
Factorization helps determine if a given integer is prime, and one use for prime integers is in devising cryptography keys, which are used quite a bit for, among other things, encrypting sensitive data which might be swapped around on the internet. (NSA, how'm I doin' so far?)

If you have an arbitrary integer of n-digits, how long does it take to determine the factors (if any) of this integer? That's a pretty basic question for number theory to answer. Is it a couple of hours, a couple of days, a couple of years, a couple of centuries, or what? Can a better (= quicker) algorithm be devised?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorization
Stephen Tashi
May25-14, 09:58 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,313
Suppose we can motivate an interest in Diophantine equations. Their solution entails finding greatest common divisors. Would that also lead in a natural way to focusing on prime numbers?

PeroK
May25-14, 10:16 AM
P: 438
Factorization of integers

Quote Quote by matqkks View Post
Why is factorization of integers important on a first number theory course? Where is factorization used in real life? Are there examples which have a real impact? I am looking for examples which will motivate students.
Much of Internet security uses Public Key Cryptography, which depends on large integer factorisation. See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
bhillyard
May25-14, 12:12 PM
P: 40
If you want to solve a quadratic equation by factorisation the you need to be able to factorises integers.
That is to solve

ax2 + bx + c = 0

you need to factorises a and c.

Register to reply