Representation symmetric, antisymmetric or mixed

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty in determining whether a representation is symmetric, antisymmetric, or a mixed tensor product of fundamental representations while studying Lie groups and representations. The use of the symmetric group Sk and the invariant totally antisymmetric quantity εabcde were mentioned as methods for further reduction. It was also mentioned that the Georgi text is helpful for examples but may not be as clear for general concepts.
JorisL
Hi,

While studying Lie groups and in particular the representations I have some trouble with determining whether a representation is a symmetric, antisymmetric or mixed tensor product of the fundamental representations. I'm working with SO(5) to get an understanding about the actual mechanisms.

I used Georgi's book Lie Algebras in Particle Physics. Do I understand correctly when saying that a representation, [itex](a,b) = \bigotimes_a (1,0)\bigotimes_b (0,1)[/itex] is symmetric if b = 0, antisymmetric if a = 0? Or is there more to it?

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
JorisL said:
While studying Lie groups and in particular the representations I have some trouble with determining whether a representation is a symmetric, antisymmetric or mixed tensor product of the fundamental representations. I'm working with SO(5) to get an understanding about the actual mechanisms.

For SO(n), start with the vector representation, Va, a = 1,... n. Form higher rank tensors by taking tensor products, Vabc... k. These representations are reducible, and may be reduced by taking traces and by symmetrizing the indices in all possible ways. For example for two indices, Vab may be reduced into a symmetric part (Vab + Vab)/2 and an antisymmetric part (Vab - Vab)/2.

In general, each part of a k-rank tensor corresponds to a representation of the symmetric group Sk. For more than two indices, some of these representations have "mixed" symmetry.

In particular for SO(5) there is an invariant totally antisymmetric quantity εabcde that may be used for further reduction. Multiplication by this quantity will convert a totally antisymmetric set of three indices to an antisymmetric set of only two. In terms of Sk this means that the Young's diagrams are restricted to having at most two rows.

Last edited:
So if I can show that the contractition of the totally antisymmetric tensor with the rep vanishes I'd know I'm dealing with a totally symmetric rep? Or is there a more suitable way?

Also, can you recommend an extra text? Because the Georgi text is suitable for examples, the generalities I find less obvious.

1. What is representation symmetric?

Representation symmetric refers to a type of representation in which the order of elements does not affect the outcome. This means that the resulting representation will look the same regardless of the order in which the elements are placed.

2. What is representation antisymmetric?

Representation antisymmetric refers to a type of representation in which the order of elements does affect the outcome. This means that the resulting representation will be different depending on the order in which the elements are placed.

3. What is a mixed representation?

A mixed representation is a combination of both symmetric and antisymmetric representations. This means that some elements will be affected by the order in which they are placed, while others will not.

4. How can I determine if a representation is symmetric or antisymmetric?

To determine if a representation is symmetric or antisymmetric, you can perform a swap test. This involves swapping the positions of two elements and observing if the resulting representation is the same or different. If it is the same, the representation is symmetric, and if it is different, it is antisymmetric.

5. What are some examples of symmetric and antisymmetric representations?

Examples of symmetric representations include the identity matrix and the symmetric group. Examples of antisymmetric representations include the alternating group and the skew-symmetric matrix.