Looking for oxidizing color-changing material

In summary: They would need to be non-toxic, reasonably cheap, and have high visibility. I think that's about it, really. Thanks for the help!In summary, Tom is looking for a paint or dye that will change color when exposed to air, but he is not an expert and does not know if these types of paints or dyes exist.
Tommy_P
Hi,

I wonder if there is a material or paint/dye that would change color when exposed to air? Ideally, it should have the following properties:

White-to-black, black-to-white, or any other high contrast color transition (e.g, yellow-to-brown would work too)
Works under normal conditions
Transition should occur within seconds (e.g., anywhere between 1 and 20 seconds)
Color change is irreversible
Non-toxic
Reasonably cheap

Thank you for any tips! :smile:

P.S. As you can probably tell from my question, I'm totally not an expert in materials or chemistry, so please answer in "plain English". :smile:

P.P.S. Also, the first thing that comes to mind is how an apple turns brown when one bites off a piece. I think this is kind of the effect I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, everybody. So no answers... which means there's no such thing?

Well, is there any other method to achieve a similar color-changing effect? I'm thinking Transitions lenses that react to UV. It is different from what I'm after in several aspects:
1. Doesn't work indoors
2. Reversible and expensive

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Tom

Thanks, B0b-A! I had a hunch these paints do exist. The only problem, they react to UV, so won't work indoors. Also this will probably work differently on a sunny day vs an overcast day. That's why initially I was hoping to find an oxidizing dye, because the % of oxygen is always about the same everywhere.

Dulux have "magic" white paint which is pink until it dries white in about an hour ...

https://www.dulux.co.uk/shop/interior-paints/magic-white-silk

Ideal if you want temporary pink graffiti on a white wall :smile:

Fast reaction (within seconds) can be difficult, but there should be plenty of dyes capable of reacting with air oxygen and substantially changing their color. Trick is - while I am pretty sure they must exist, I have no idea about details.

What is an oxidizing color-changing material?

An oxidizing color-changing material is a substance that changes color when it comes into contact with an oxidizing agent. This change in color can be permanent or temporary, and is often used in chemical reactions or as a visual indicator for the presence of an oxidizing agent.

What are some examples of oxidizing color-changing materials?

Some common examples of oxidizing color-changing materials include potassium permanganate, which turns from purple to colorless when oxidized, and potassium dichromate, which changes from orange to green when oxidized. Other examples include pH indicators, such as litmus paper, which changes color in the presence of an oxidizing agent.

What are the properties of a good oxidizing color-changing material?

A good oxidizing color-changing material should have a strong and distinct color change, be sensitive to small amounts of oxidizing agent, and have a stable and predictable reaction. It should also be safe to handle and not react with other substances in the environment.

How can oxidizing color-changing materials be used in scientific research?

Oxidizing color-changing materials can be used in a variety of scientific research, such as in chemical reactions to track the progress of a reaction or in environmental studies to detect the presence of certain pollutants. They can also be used as indicators in titrations to determine the concentration of an oxidizing agent.

Are there any potential hazards associated with using oxidizing color-changing materials?

Yes, some oxidizing color-changing materials can be hazardous if not handled properly. They may be corrosive or toxic, and can cause skin irritation or other health effects. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and handle these materials with care.