Complex conjugation equality problem

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the equality between a complex-valued function and its complex conjugate, and the question of whether this implies that the function must be real. The summary explains that, in general, this is not necessarily true and provides a counterexample.
eljose
:rolleyes: let be the equality where "*" is complex conjugation...z=a+ib but z*=a-ib with a and b real, then:

[tex] \int_{0}^{c}dxf(x)g(x)=\int_{0}^{c}dxf(x)[g(x)]* [/tex]

with c a real number then my question is if the equality above implies necessarily that:

[tex] g(x)=[g(x)]* [/tex] so g is real where:

-f(x)>0 or 0 on the interval (0,c) and f is a real-valued function.
-c is an arbitrary and positive real number.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]g(x)=u(x)+iv(x)[/tex] so that [tex][g(x)]*=u(x)-iv(x)[/tex]. The equality then becomes

[tex] \int_{0}^{c}f(x)(u(x)+iv(x)) dx=\int_{0}^{c}f(x)(u(x)-iv(x)) dx \\ \Rightarrow \int_{0}^{c}f(x)u(x) dx+i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx = \int_{0}^{c}f(x)u(x) dx-i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx \Rightarrow i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx = -i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx \Rightarrow 2i\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx=0[/tex]

so we require that [tex]\int_{0}^{c}f(x)v(x) dx=0[/tex] for said equality to hold, in terms of g(x) this is [tex]\int_{0}^{c}f(x)\Im [g(x)] dx=0[/tex]

which could hold for any number of different functions f and g.

As stated it is exceptionally trivial to find counter examples and benorin was being far to rigorous in proving something here. g=0 for all but some finite number of points where it is i will do. And you wonder why people don't trust your non-rigorous 'proofs'?

What is the concept of complex conjugation?

Complex conjugation is a mathematical operation that involves changing the sign of the imaginary part of a complex number. This results in a new complex number that is its mirror image over the real axis.

What is the definition of a complex conjugate pair?

A complex conjugate pair consists of two complex numbers that have the same real part but differ in their imaginary parts by a negative sign. For example, 3+4i and 3-4i are a complex conjugate pair.

How do you solve a complex conjugation equality problem?

To solve a complex conjugation equality problem, you need to equate the real and imaginary parts of the two complex numbers. This will result in a system of equations that can be solved to find the values of the complex variables.

What is the significance of complex conjugation in mathematics?

Complex conjugation plays an important role in various mathematical fields, such as complex analysis, number theory, and differential equations. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving complex numbers.

Can complex conjugation be applied to any type of complex numbers?

Yes, complex conjugation can be applied to any type of complex numbers, including algebraic, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential forms. It is a general operation that can be used on any complex number.