How Do You Calculate Chemical Reaction Yields?

In summary, the conversation discusses four chemistry problems that need to be solved before a break. The problems involve finding the mass of a certain substance produced in a chemical reaction. The conversation also includes some helpful tips for solving these types of problems, such as using molecular weight and conversion factors.
skyblueff0
okay I am going to give you like 4 problems out of like 22 i need to do for homework before the breaks is over can someone just tell me what formula to use, or it would be even better if someone can show me

" "- subscript numbers

1. Determine the mass of lithium hydroxide produced when 0.38g of lithium nitride reacts with water according to the following equation: Li"3"N + 3H"2"O --> NH"3" + 3LiOH

2.What mass of hydrogen peroxide (H"2"O"2") must decompose to produce 0.77g of water?

3.Find the mass of benzene (C(6)H(6)) required to produce 2.66 L of carbon dioxide gas at STP from the reaction described by the following equation : 2C"6"H"6" + 15O"2" --> 6H"2"O + 12CO"2"

4.Determine the mass of sodium nitrate produced when 0.73g of
nickel(II) nitrate reacts with sodium hydroxide according to the following equation: Ni(NO"3")"2" + 2NaOh --> Ni(OH)"2" + 2NaNO"3"

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by skyblueff0
okay I am going to give you like 4 problems out of like 22 i need to do for homework before the breaks is over can someone just tell me what formula to use, or it would be even better if someone can show me
We have a policy that we don't do your homework for you :) here's some hints:

1. Determine the mass of lithium hydroxide produced when 0.38g of lithium nitride reacts with water according to the following equation: Li"3"N + 3H"2"O --> NH"3" + 3LiOH
Not too difficult, first look up or calculate the molecular weight of Li3N (mw), then compute the number of moles Li3N that you have, you get three times the number of moles LiOH out of the reaction, convert back to grams. mw is in grams/mole, so if you know the number of grams, you divide by mw to get the number of moles (and vice versa).

2.What mass of hydrogen peroxide (H"2"O"2") must decompose to produce 0.77g of water?
First determine how H2O2 reacts with water, and do the same as above.

3.Find the mass of benzene (C(6)H(6)) required to produce 2.66 L of carbon dioxide gas at STP from the reaction described by the following equation : 2C"6"H"6" + 15O"2" --> 6H"2"O + 12CO"2"
Same thinking here, keep track of the reaction ratios (2 C6H6 produce 12 CO2), at STP a mole of any ideal gas occupies 22.4 liters.

4.Determine the mass of sodium nitrate produced when 0.73g of
nickel(II) nitrate reacts with sodium hydroxide according to the following equation: Ni(NO"3")"2" + 2NaOh --> Ni(OH)"2" + 2NaNO"3" [/B]
Again, same thing.

Last edited:
If your chemistry textbook is any good at all, there should be stoichiometry problems similar to the ones you are working.
H2O2 yields H2O + O2 and you'll have to balance the equation first.
Here's a little trick for conversions:

GMD = grams to moles, divide
MGM = moles to grams, multiply

LMD = liters to moles, divide (22.4L)
MLM = moles to liters, multiply (22.4L)

Very good tip:

I always have the following picture in my mind:

Code:
          * mw              * 6.022 x 10^23 
grams     <--       moles      -->         molecules

|
                      |* 22.4L (at STP)
                      V

liters
It is all very simple, just remember that picture and the fact that you ALWAYS have to multiply when you go from the mole to any of the other measurements. And when you want to convert something into a mole, you ALWAYS divide.

Hope that makes things clearer

1. What is the purpose of "I" in my chemistry homework?

The "I" in chemistry homework refers to the symbol for current, which is measured in amperes (A). It represents the flow of electric charge through a conductor.

2. Why is "I" often used in equations and calculations in chemistry?

In chemistry, "I" is used to represent the current in Ohm's Law (V=IR) and other equations involving electricity and conductivity. It helps to determine the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit.

3. Can "I" be used to represent other quantities in chemistry?

No, "I" is primarily used to represent current in chemistry. In other fields such as physics and mathematics, it may be used to represent other quantities such as moment of inertia or impulse.

4. How is "I" related to the concept of charge in chemistry?

The symbol "I" is directly related to the concept of charge in chemistry. Current is the rate of flow of electric charge, and it is measured in coulombs per second (C/s).

5. Are there any other symbols or units that are commonly used alongside "I" in chemistry?

Yes, "I" is often used with other symbols and units in chemistry, such as voltage (V), resistance (R), and power (P). These are all important components in understanding the behavior of electricity in chemical systems.