Im thinking about building a cyclometer

In summary: The magnets should be about a foot away from each other, and the current should be around 1,000 amps.In summary, it is possible to replace large stationary "dee" magnets with electromagnets, but care must be taken to ensure the device is safe to operate. The distance between the magnets and the current should be around 1 foot, and a cyclometer should be used to calculate the current needed.
professor
Should i be able to replace those large stationary "dee" magnets with electromagntes? (or would that be a grand misuse of the powersupply, as i know i will need to supply an ample amount to the electron gun, and the current which i need to accelerate the particles, rather than simply keep them suspended.) Also, about how far apart should the magnets be, and what strength would be resonable for a project by a student without too much pocket money. I will probably use ferrite magnets as opposed to rare earth- or electromagnets, so if you have any pertinent calculations let me know the outcomes.

I would like any help i can get, if anyone on these forums has any suggestions (positive ones) let me know.

edit, also please let me know if you have any idea of a basic schematics for such an accelerator ( i believe i should have a vacuum between two permenant magnets, and somehow i should push an ooscilating current (calculated by the cyclometer eq) through the center. Though i am not sure how to get the calculated current (I mean how to physically Create it) and i am not sure where the electron gun should be positioned to enable the electrons to properly enter (the center is obvious, though i do not know how i will fit it in the center when the whole center should be occupied by a vaccumed glass container (or should I have the gun in the center of this container, just arbitrarily shooting electrons out at a speed which may very-much be untameable by my magnets?) Perhaps a modern electron gun could do a better job of accelerating these electrons than my cyclometer,and i shoucl simply remove any means of initial acceleration, and just create some basal electron grouping in the center by some other means (thermionic emission i suppose?)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mean cyclotron. This video talks about an undergraduate project at MIT. It can be dangerous on your own, but under proper supervision, it can be done.

1. What is a cyclometer?

A cyclometer is a device used to measure the distance and speed of a bicycle or any other moving object. It is also known as a bike computer or an odometer.

2. How does a cyclometer work?

A cyclometer typically uses a magnet attached to the wheel of the bicycle and a sensor attached to the frame. As the wheel rotates, the magnet passes by the sensor, which then records the distance and speed based on the number of rotations.

3. What are the benefits of using a cyclometer?

A cyclometer can provide valuable information for cyclists, such as distance traveled, average and maximum speed, and even calories burned. It can also help track progress and set fitness goals.

4. How accurate are cyclometers?

Cyclometers can be fairly accurate, but their precision depends on various factors such as the quality of the device, the type of terrain, and the tire size of the bicycle. It is recommended to calibrate the cyclometer regularly for more accurate results.

5. Are there different types of cyclometers available?

Yes, there are various types of cyclometers available in the market, ranging from basic models that display distance and speed to more advanced ones that have features like GPS tracking and heart rate monitoring. It is essential to choose one that best fits your needs and budget.