Cosmology & Physics Books: Recommended Reads

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is a non-science student with a strong interest in cosmology and modern physics. They have read books by Michael Greene and are looking for recommendations for other books. Some suggestions are "Gravity from the Ground Up" by Bernard Schutz, "The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe" by Steven Weinberg, and "Cosmology for Physicists" by Edward Harrison. It is also mentioned that learning math is necessary for a deeper understanding of cosmology, but popular press books can still capture interest in the subject.
student007
Hello, I am a non-science student with a huge interest in cosmology and modern physics. I've read Micheal Greene's "Elegant Universe" and "Fabric of the Cosmos" a couple of times, and I loved them. What else do you recommend? (I know about Stephen Hawking's 2 books, and I hope to read them sometime soon). Anyone else have any suggestions?

Space news on Phys.org
How much math can you handle?

The paperback novel-type books really aren't going to teach you much. At most, they're going to be good entertainment. If you really want to study cosmology, you should look into university-level textbooks on the subject.

- Warren

Last edited:
Gravity from the Ground Up by Bernard Schutz. I have just flipped through the book, and I think it was written mainly for people whose strong point is not differential geometry but who have not forgotten their high-school non-calculus maths. Of course, cosmology forms only a part of the book, general relativity being the main theme.

Take look to the threads in the subforum Book Reviews, in Career & Academic Guidance. A very interesting book, without formulas but very accurate, is Steven Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe".

Last edited:
I've written some cosmology related articles on my website, and have made lists of suggested reading to accompany them. These can be found at Stretchy space and Cosmological Horizons

I like pedagogical treatments of extraordinarily difficult subjects, like cosmology. I agree you have to learn a great deal of math to grasp the deep issues, but, the popular press is a great way to capture the attention of kids who will someday take it to the next level.

What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, motion, and forces in the universe.

What are some recommended reads for cosmology and physics books?

Some highly recommended books in the field of cosmology and physics are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.

Are these books suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, these books are written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists and can be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in cosmology and physics.

Are there any prerequisites for reading these books?

No, these books do not require any prior knowledge or understanding of cosmology and physics. They are written in a way that is easy to understand for readers of all levels.