Are These the Movies We've Been Waiting For?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: Ok, I would put it on the bottom of the list of movies I gave. But still, its not THAT bad.In summary, the following movies are all good and you should see them.
Cyrus
Here are some good movies you should go see while they are out. They were good, FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY! LONG OVERDUE.

• Blood Diamond
  • Good Shepherd
  • Apocalypto
  • Rocky Balboa

You will get your moneys worth from these movies, I promise. I felt cheated for the CRAP hollywood has been putting out. Now they are getting back into the upswing, hopefully.

Physics news on Phys.org
And just in time, I got a bunch of free movie passes!

The Prestige and The Illusionist were pretty good, as was The Pursuit of Happyness.

Blood Diamond is a damn good movie. I also saw the 2 hour documentary on the History Channel on these "Blood Diamonds". I'm in shock, I'll never look at diamonds in the same way. We should get more women to watch this documentary.

Good Sheperd is pretty good. Apocalypto is a complete waste of 2 hours - I'd have preferred to have a couple teeth pulled out instead!

Gokul43201 said:
Good Sheperd is pretty good. Apocalypto is a complete waste of 2 hours - I'd have preferred to have a couple teeth pulled out instead!

Why? Factually, its not that far off the mark.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Just as the quasar GB1508 isn't too far from here! But aside from the complete lack of care with historical accuracy (for instance, the Mayan town depicted in the movie is from the 9th century, roughly 700 years before the Spaniards landed), what was the movie but an elaborate chase scene reverberating with Mel's oh so favorite theme of "Destiny"? It was perdictable, plotless and a bloody bore!

Ok, I would put it on the bottom of the list of movies I gave. But still, its not THAT bad.

Gokul43201 said:

Please don't talk about teeth! :frown:

All I've seen is Pan's Labyrinth and that was a hell of a movie.

good shepherd was crap. that movie tried WAY to hard to be "smart" and you end up getting lost in the plot. you would have to watch that movie 5 times just to understand it. good shepherd is like syriana. both movies are way too complicated to follow and have 100 stories with 100 different characters going on all at the same time.

gravenewworld said:
good shepherd is like syriana.
I liked both movies!

loseyourname said:
All I've seen is Pan's Labyrinth and that was a hell of a movie.

I saw a preview for that yesterday when I saw Blood Diamond, and it looks like a really good movie, but it hasn't been in theaters anywhere near me.

Gokul43201 said:
I liked both movies!
I haven't watched Good Shepherd yet, but Syriana was a very good movie!

gravenewworld said:
good shepherd was crap. that movie tried WAY to hard to be "smart" and you end up getting lost in the plot. you would have to watch that movie 5 times just to understand it. good shepherd is like syriana. both movies are way too complicated to follow and have 100 stories with 100 different characters going on all at the same time.

What.....:rolleyes:

I understood the movie.

I did not like Syriana though, way too long and too much story stuffed into it. But this movie is NOT like syriana.

ranger said:
Blood Diamond is a damn good movie. I also saw the 2 hour documentary on the History Channel on these "Blood Diamonds". I'm in shock, I'll never look at diamonds in the same way. We should get more women to watch this documentary.

Why is that.

To understand the Good Shepherd I felt like you needed a notepad and pen to follow everything that was going on. I went to see the Good Shepherd (a 3 hour movie) at 10:45 so maybe I was a little tired and wasn't paying attention.

********spoiler warning**************

please explain this stuff to me

1.) i still don't get the whole deal with the russian guy who came to the CIA. why did the british guy give him the ulysses book with all the stuff in it? why not just give the book to mat damon?

2.) why did the CIA drop all the locusts on the coffee bean farm and why did the CIA boss guy get money from it ?
3.) who killed matt damon's son's wife? the russians or the cia?

4.) are the skull and bones really that homoerotic? I guess it is true what they say about those yale guys...

Last edited:
What, I saw it at the same time. You don't need a notepad to follow that movie.

cyrusabdollahi said:

You mean the fact it was directed by reactionary catholic biggot Mel Gibson isn't enough? Also a lot of his films are historically inaccurate taking for example Braveheart which is possibly the worst film ever made.

I think Rocky Balboa is probably 4 films too far in that franchise aswell. Such a shame because the first was so beautifully written.

1.) i still don't get the whole deal with the russian guy who came to the CIA. why did the british guy give him the ulysses book with all the stuff in it? why not just give the book to mat damon?

What? The british guy was a double agent, and so was the russian guy. Thats why they put him in jail in the end.

2.) why did the CIA drop all the locusts on the coffee bean farm and why did the CIA boss guy get money from it ?

Because they wanted to ruin the presidents source of money into the country.

3.) who killed matt damon's son's wife? the russians or the cia?

Matt had her killed.

4.) are the skull and bones really that homoerotic? I guess it is true what they say about those yale guys...

Did you even pay attention to the movie, at all? :rolleyes:

how was the british guy a double agent? i thought that hejust knew that the russian guy was fake. if he was a double agent, who was he a double agent for?

if they ruined the coffee bean farms, then how did the CIA guy get moeny from it and who gave it to him? to me it doesn't make sense who from the coffee company would give him money to ruin it.

are you sure matt damon killed his son's wife? the russian spy said that they couldn't trust her anymore "because she fell in love".

Yes, don't you remember in the end. Matt said his worst fears became true. He was friendless and countryless. He was working for Russia, come on man, pay attention!...:rolleyes:

Yes, Matt had his sons wife killed. Dont you remember his wife said, "what have you done?" And he was silent.

Honestly, there was nothing that "Hard" to understand about the movie.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Yes, don't you remember in the end. Matt said his worst fears became true. He was friendless and countryless. He was working for Russia, come on man, pay attention!...:rolleyes:

Yes, Matt had his sons wife killed. Dont you remember his wife said, "what have you done?" And he was silent.

Honestly, there was nothing that "Hard" to understand about the movie.

if the briitish guy was working for russia, then why give the russian mole inthe cia the book in the first place? that seem just stupid to hand him a book full of evidence that he is a mole.

Because Matt trusted him, and it took Matt a long time to catch on that his friend was dirty.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Because Matt trusted him, and it took Matt a long time to catch on that his friend was dirty.

but that still doesn't answer the question as to why Russian spy #1 would give Russian spy #2 a book filled with photos of Russian spy #2 and Russian spy #2's passport. that just doesn't make sense, did #1 want #2 to get caught or something? Maybe that is why the soviets lost the cold war, they were too busy blowing each others cover. So if the British guy was a russian spy, did the russians kill Matt Damon's professor then? It seemed like the British guy was totally behind the killing.

dude...ITS A MOVIE.

No, the russians did not kill the prof. That was before his friend turned.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:

Hmm...that just convinced me that I should see that movie. I get tired of movies with ridiculously simple plots. The few I've seen that got "complaints" like yours have been ones I've immensely enjoyed.

I can't even remember the last time I've bothered going to see a movie since so few have sounded even marginally tempting in such a long time. Glad to hear there are a few that are recommended "must see" movies out now. :smile:

Moonbear said:
Hmm...that just convinced me that I should see that movie. I get tired of movies with ridiculously simple plots. The few I've seen that got "complaints" like yours have been ones I've immensely enjoyed.

Same here. I love it when I don't understand the plot, or at least when I don't know how it will end until the movie is almost over. Many are predicatable to the point of not being worth the watch. Then again, if it's weird enough I will probably like it... in much the same way that we like Cyrus.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Then again, if it's weird enough I will probably like it... in much the same way that we like Cyrus.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

d_leet said:
I saw a preview for that yesterday when I saw Blood Diamond, and it looks like a really good movie, but it hasn't been in theaters anywhere near me.

Yeah, nor me, but my roommate has it on her computer. I actually would like to see it in a theater now. It seemed like it should have been fairly impressive visually. I didn't even realize it was a recent release until about a week after she showed it to me. I thought it was some obscure Spanish gem no one had ever heard of.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
You mean the fact it was directed by reactionary catholic biggot Mel Gibson isn't enough? Also a lot of his films are historically inaccurate taking for example Braveheart which is possibly the worst film ever made.
They were both good movies:confused: Mel Gibson's personal beliefs don't necessarily affect his filmmaking ability

Moonbear said:

Knock yourself out. For $10 a pop I feel like I have the right to be highly critical of any movie I see at the theater.

yomamma said:
Mel Gibson's personal beliefs don't necessarily affect his filmmaking ability
How could you possibly say that? They certainly do reflect in the content of his films and that does indirectly affect their quality. You can watch a scene from one of his movies and tell what he had for breakfast that morning! It's starting to get incredibly repetitive now.

Kurdt said:
I think Rocky Balboa is probably 4 films too far in that franchise aswell. Such a shame because the first was so beautifully written.
What's quite incredible is that the first film was written by Stallone in less than 3 days - he was inspired by a fight he just watched, where some unknown newbie nearly hung on for the full 15 against Ali.

yomamma said:
They were both good movies:confused: Mel Gibson's personal beliefs don't necessarily affect his filmmaking ability

Braveheart was entertaining but if you're going to make a historical film then you have to make it historically accurate. Gibson's personal beliefs are portrayed in the film through the fact that he makes a big deal about Edward the second being gay.