I on this indefinite integral

In summary, the given problem can be solved using the u-substitution method. By using the Pythagorean Identity, 1+tan^2x = sec^2x, we can change the integral to \int \sec^2(5x)dx. Then, letting u=5x and using the derivative of tan x, we can simplify the integral to \frac{1}{5} \tan(5x) + C.
Oomair

Homework Statement

ok I am given this problem

indef. int (1+tan^2*5x)dx i need to use the u subsitution method to find the answer but i cannot seem to find what to subsitute

the worksheet says the answer is " one-fifth*tan5x+C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The using the Pythagorean Identity [tex] 1+ \tan^2 x = \sec^2 x[/tex], we can change your problem to:
[tex]\int \sec^2 (5x) dx[/tex]. then let u= 5x. du= 5 dx, or dx = (1/5) du.

We can take constants out of the integral, so it becomes [tex]\frac{1}{5} \int \sec^2 u du[/tex]. You should know that the derivative of tan x is sec^2 x, so the integral is [tex]\frac{1}{5} \tan u + C = \frac{1}{5} \tan (5x) + C[/tex]

thanks for the help, i got the trig idenity, but the problem was that i was letting u=sec^25x

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is used to find the antiderivative or integral of a function.

What is the difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration, while a definite integral has specific limits of integration. This means that the result of an indefinite integral will be a function, while the result of a definite integral will be a single numerical value.

How do I solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you can use integration techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to also check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is the correct antiderivative.

What is the purpose of finding an indefinite integral?

Finding an indefinite integral can be useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as in physics to find position or velocity from acceleration, or in economics to find marginal cost from total cost. It can also help in solving differential equations.

Are there any rules or formulas for solving indefinite integrals?

Yes, there are several rules and formulas for solving indefinite integrals, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are based on the properties of derivatives and can be used to simplify the integration process.