Understand Significance of Conservative Fields: Inspire Me!

In summary, a conservative field is a vector field that can be written as the gradient of a scalar field, and its name comes from the fact that it conserves energy. This means that the work done by such a field is independent of the path taken and the sum of potential and kinetic energy is always constant. It is important to identify whether a field is conservative or not in order to determine if a potential energy can be associated with it.
hanson
hi PF.
What is exactly a conservative field?
I know the mathematical definitions such as the existence of a scalar potential, the curl of the field equals 0 (irrotational), path independence etc.
But I still don't get a physical understanding of such a field.
What's the significance of identifying whether a field is conservative or not?
I know the gravitational field is a conservative field. But it seems to me that it is just a matter of terminology...

Please inspire me.

Physics news on Phys.org
hanson said:
hi PF.
I know the mathematical definitions such as the existence of a scalar potential, the curl of the field equals 0 (irrotational), path independence etc.
But I still don't get a physical understanding of such a field.
What's the significance of identifying whether a field is conservative or not?
I know the gravitational field is a conservative field. But it seems to me that it is just a matter of terminology...

Please inspire me.

You can't have a potential energy associated with a field, unless you have a conservative field. Do you see how path independence leads to this?

hanson said:
hi PF.

A vector field that can be written as the gradient of a scalar field. I.e., if the field [tex]\vec F[/tex]is conservative, then it can be written as:

[tex]
\vec F = -\nabla \phi
[/tex]
where the minus sign is just conventional.

The reason for the name "conservative" is that if I can write the field as the gradient of a scalar, then (for a force field) I can calculate the work done (by me) as I move some point particle from one place to another and the work done is just the change in the value of the scalar field [tex]\phi[/tex] (and thus the work is independent of path), which can then be interpreted as a potential energy.

This interpretation is useful because the work done is also equal to the change in kinetic energy of the particle and thus the sum of the potential and kinetic energy is always constant in a conservative field... I.e., the total energy is conserved--hence the name "conservative".

hanson said:
hi PF.

my "engineering bottom line" answer is such a force field so that when an object is moved from point A to point B, the energy that is required to move it as such is exactly the negative of the energy required to move it from point B back to point A, for any given points A and B and completely independent of whatever convoluted (or straight) path you choose.

if it costs you E units of energy to move something from point A to point B, exactly that E units of energy will be returned to you to move it from point B back to point A.

that is, in my understanding, the salient meaning of a conservative field.

1. What is a conservative field?

A conservative field is a type of vector field in which the line integral between any two points is independent of the path taken between them. This means that the work done by the field on an object moving from one point to another is only dependent on the positions of the points, not the path taken.

2. Why is understanding conservative fields important?

Understanding conservative fields is important because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of physical systems. Many natural phenomena, such as gravitational and electrical fields, are conservative in nature, so understanding these fields is essential in fields like physics and engineering.

3. How do you determine if a field is conservative?

A field can be determined to be conservative if its curl is equal to zero. This means that the field is irrotational, or that it has no rotation at any point. Another way to determine if a field is conservative is by checking if the line integral between two points is independent of the path taken between them.

4. What is the significance of a conservative field being irrotational?

The fact that a conservative field is irrotational means that the force acting on an object is always parallel to the path of the object. This allows us to easily calculate the work done by the field on an object, as well as the potential energy of the object at different points.

5. Can conservative fields exist in non-physical systems?

Yes, conservative fields can exist in non-physical systems, such as mathematical or economic systems. In these cases, the field represents some sort of potential or energy that is being conserved as objects move through the system. However, in these cases, the field is not necessarily a physical force acting on an object.