Find Limit of Sequence: n^2*2^n/n!

In summary, the limit of the sequence a_{n}=\frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} is 0, as shown by using the squeeze theorem and proving that n^{2}2^{n} is less than x^n. Additionally, by considering the ratio of consecutive terms, it can be shown that the limit tends to zero.
khari
Problem: Find the limit of the sequence

[tex]a_{n}=\frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

My first thought was to say that

[tex]0\leq \frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} \leq \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex]

and by squeeze theorem, since [tex]\frac{x^n}{n!}=0[/tex] for all real x, my original limit must be 0 as well. Now all I need to do is prove that [tex]n^{2}2^{n} \leq x^n[/tex], which is where I'm stuck. Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rearrange to n^2 < (x/2)^n.

khari said:
Problem: Find the limit of the sequence

[tex]a_{n}=\frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

My first thought was to say that

[tex]0\leq \frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} \leq \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex]

and by squeeze theorem, since [tex]\frac{x^n}{n!}=0[/tex] for all real x, my original limit must be 0 as well. Now all I need to do is prove that [tex]n^{2}2^{n} \leq x^n[/tex], which is where I'm stuck. Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks.

What is x? Is [tex]0\leq \frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} \leq \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex] even true?

You might break up the numerator and denominator into their respective factors and look at the ratios that are formed. I believe you'll find that some have specific values, others have finite values in the limit n-> inf. , and others go to zero in the limit.

dynamicsolo said:
What is x? Is [tex]0\leq \frac{n^{2}2^{n}}{n!} \leq \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex] even true?
Not for any x and any n; but I think n^2 2^n < x^n as n --> +infinity.

EnumaElish said:
Rearrange to n^2 < (x/2)^n.

Sorry if it seems stupid, but I'm horrible at proofs, and am still coming up a bit short on proving [tex]n^2 \leq {(\frac{x}{2})}^n[/tex]

I mean it seems fairly obvious that this is true to me, and more obvious still when I begin writing it out term by term for increasing n, but is this good enough to state it conclusively?

Last edited:
dynamicsolo's advice is a bit better. Write it as n*n*4*2^(n-2)/(n*(n-1)*(n-2)!). Does that suggest anything?

Dick said:
dynamicsolo's advice is a bit better. Write it as n*n*4*2^(n-2)/(n*(n-1)*(n-2)!). Does that suggest anything?

I must be missing something obvious, because I've tried that as well with pretty much no success. :frown:

khari said:
I must be missing something obvious, because I've tried that as well with pretty much no success. :frown:

I'm suggesting that you write each factor in the numerator over a factor in the denominator and then consider each ratio you've formed. An example:

(e^n)/(n!) = (e·e·...·e)/[n·(n-1)·...·3·2·1] ;

there are n factors each in the numerator and denominator, so you can also write this as

(e/n)·(e/n-1)·...·(e/3)·(e/2)·(e/1).

In the case of our ratio, there are (n+2) factors in the numerator and only n in the denominator, so we will need to set aside two factors upstairs -- two of the 2s may be best. Now look at your ratio as a product of factors and recall that the limit of a product of terms is the product of the limits of the terms.

Remember also that since we want the limit of the sequence a-sub-n, we are looking for the limit of this product as n-> infinity.

What are the limits of n/n, n/(n-1) and coup de grace 2^(n-2)/(n-2)!, I thought you said you knew x^n/n! -> 0. x=2 and if n->infinity, n-2->infinity.

I got it. Thank you all, you've been a big help.

*thuds head with heel of hand, causing skull to emit dull, hollow sound*

I just thought of something else: what is

lim n->inf. of abs([tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/tex])?

We know the terms of this sequence are positive and you'll find this limit tends to zero. Thus the limit of the sequence is zero.

1. What is the formula for finding the limit of a sequence with n^2*2^n/n!?

The formula for finding the limit of a sequence with n^2*2^n/n! is lim(n→∞) (n^2*2^n)/n!.

2. How do you solve for the limit of n^2*2^n/n!?

To solve for the limit of n^2*2^n/n!, first factor out n^2 from the numerator and denominator. This will give you lim(n→∞) (n^2*2^n)/(n*(n-1)!). Then, use the fact that (n-1)! = n!/n to simplify the expression. This will leave you with lim(n→∞) (n*2^n)/n!. Finally, use the property that lim(n→∞) n^k/a^n = 0 if a > 1 to solve for the limit of n*2^n/n!.

3. What does the limit of n^2*2^n/n! represent?

The limit of n^2*2^n/n! represents the maximum value that the sequence can approach as n gets infinitely large.

4. What is the significance of the limit of n^2*2^n/n! in mathematics?

The limit of n^2*2^n/n! is significant in mathematics as it is used to define the concept of convergence in sequences. If the limit of a sequence exists, it means that the sequence is converging towards a specific value.

5. Can the limit of n^2*2^n/n! be calculated using a calculator?

No, the limit of n^2*2^n/n! cannot be accurately calculated using a calculator. It requires using mathematical concepts such as limits, factorials, and exponents to solve for the value. However, a calculator can be used to verify the calculated limit.