Are Vectors v-w and v+w Perpendicular When Magnitudes of v and w Are Equal?

In summary: Then use the distributive property to simplify. Finally, use the equality to conclude that v-w and v+w are perpendicular.
andrassy

Homework Statement

Theres two questions I need help with on m homework:

I need to prove algebraically that the linear system r + 2s = -b1 and 3r+5s = b2 has a solution for all numbers b1, b2

also: for vectors v and w prove that v-w and v+w are perpendicular if and only if the magnitude of v equals the magnitude of w.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first question i multiplied the first equation by -3 and added the two equations together to get 11s = b2 - 3b1 but i have no idea where to go from there.

The second I proved that two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero. I did the dot product of v-w and v+w an dgot [v1^2 - w1^2, . . . vn^2 - wn^2].here agian in stuck. any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say prove algebraically, are you allowed to use matrices here? It's a lot easier if you could do so. Start by representing the linear system as an augmented matrix:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{*{20}c}1&2&-b_{1}\\3&5&b_{2}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

If you want to show that there are exactly 1 solutions for both r,s , you need to show that you can reduce the augmented matrix (the sub-matrix on the left) above to the identity matrix.

For the 2nd part, your approach is correct, but you should get this:

[tex](v+w)\cdot(v-w) = v\cdot v + v\cdot w - w\cdot v - w\cdot w [/tex]

You know where to go from here, right?

The first question i multiplied the first equation by -3 and added the two equations together to get 11s = b2 - 3b1 but i have no idea where to go from there.

You are almost done. Solve for s, and sustitude the result in one of original the equations in order to find r.

for vectors v and w prove that v-w and v+w are perpendicular if and only if the magnitude of v equals the magnitude of w.

Write the dot product [itex](\vec{v}-\vec{w})\cdot (\vec{v}+\vec{w})=0[/itex] and expand it.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on studying linear equations and functions. It deals with vectors, matrices, and systems of linear equations, and is used to solve problems in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

Some of the basic concepts in linear algebra include vector spaces, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Vector spaces are sets of vectors that follow certain rules, while linear transformations are functions that map vectors from one space to another. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to describe the behavior of linear transformations.

How can I improve my understanding of basic linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of basic linear algebra, you can practice solving problems and working with different types of matrices and vectors. It can also be helpful to study the properties and operations of these mathematical objects, and to learn about real-world applications of linear algebra.

What are some common applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning. It is used to solve problems involving large datasets, image processing, and optimization. It is also used in engineering to model and analyze systems and in physics to describe physical phenomena.

What are some common topics covered in a basic linear algebra course?

A basic linear algebra course typically covers topics such as vector operations, matrix operations, systems of linear equations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of linear algebra. It may also cover more advanced topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, and diagonalization.