Linear Algebra: need suggestions for learning

In summary, the student is having difficulty understanding the mathematics behind the Linear Algebra course. He is struggling to understand the concepts behind the solutions to the equation y- 3x= 0 and y- 3x= 2. He has tried to graph the solutions but is confused. The student seems to be lost and does not understand what the vector p represents.
SticksandStones
I'm currently taking a Linear Algebra course, and am having some issues.

I can do the mechanics of it, solve the problems and all of that but I don't really get the math theory (perhaps not the best wording) behind it.

Things like "The solutions of Ax=0 has a different plane than Ax=b connected by a vector p" seem to fly over my head.

Do you guys have any suggestions for books I could read to get a better understanding? Right now I'm using "Linear Algebra and it's Applications" by David Lay.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, that's a pretty good text. For that particular question, I would recommend looking at it in the xy- plane. What are the solutions to the equation y- 3x= 0. What are the solutions to y- 3x= 2? Graph them!

Ok, so I graphed them and I have two parallel lines? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of it. :(

Am I supposed to be showing that they have no point of intersection? If so, what's the point of "Ax=0 for x = p+tv (where t is any real)" ?

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 393
Yes, they are two parallel lines, one going through the origin. They are the two "planes" you mention. Any "vector" draw from one line to the other is the "vector p" that connects them. In particular, if we represent a vector by an arrow drawn from the origin to a point on the line, then the vector from the origin to a point on the line through the origin, added to the vector p, shifted over of course, give a point on the second line.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, they are two parallel lines, one going through the origin. They are the two "planes" you mention. Any "vector" draw from one line to the other is the "vector p" that connects them. In particular, if we represent a vector by an arrow drawn from the origin to a point on the line, then the vector from the origin to a point on the line through the origin, added to the vector p, shifted over of course, give a point on the second line.

I get this part, but what confuses me as what the vector p represents in terms of this function. In other words, WHY does anyone care about a vector connecting the two lines? I guess the starting point and the magnitude of the vector would represent the values of "y" for a given "x", but how is this so special as to require this extra work?

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the help. It is appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Now I'm really confused. I put the two systems in a matrix and, as I figured they would, it came out to be an inconsistent system.

I really do not see what any of this has to do with anything! :(

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves studying the properties and operations of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, and data science. It provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems involving large sets of data and equations.

3. What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many resources available for learning linear algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular options include "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and the linear algebra course on Khan Academy.

4. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of linear algebra. Make sure to work through plenty of exercises and problems to solidify your knowledge. Additionally, try to visualize concepts and make connections between different topics in linear algebra.

5. Are there any specific prerequisites for learning linear algebra?

A good understanding of basic algebra and calculus is essential for learning linear algebra. Familiarity with concepts such as matrices, determinants, and systems of linear equations will also be helpful. Some background in programming and computer science may also be beneficial for applying linear algebra in data analysis and machine learning.