Nilpotent Matrix Proof problem

In summary: If you don't get the idea yet, look at B3= 0. Then B3- I= -I or I-B3= I. But I- B3= (I- B)*what? Since their product is I, whatever that factor is is the inverse of I- B.
Bob Ho

Homework Statement

If B is any nilpotent matrix, prove that I-B is invertible and find a formula for (I-B)^-1 in terms of powers of B.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I make a matrix <<ab,cd>> then if 1/(ad-bc)[tex]\neq[/tex]0 then the matrix has an inverse. Since I think all nilpotent matrices have a 0,0,0 leading diagonal with the other diagonal being not fully "0"s. Wouldn't it be impossible for nilpotent matrices to not have an inverse? I think I may have my wording jumbled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob Ho said:

Homework Statement

If B is any nilpotent matrix, prove that I-B is invertible and find a formula for (I-B)^-1 in terms of powers of B.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I make a matrix <<ab,cd>> then if 1/(ad-bc)[tex]\neq[/tex]0 then the matrix has an inverse. Since I think all nilpotent matrices have a 0,0,0 leading diagonal with the other diagonal being not fully "0"s. Wouldn't it be impossible for nilpotent matrices to not have an inverse? I think I may have my wording jumbled.

A nilpotent matrix cannot have an inverse. Say B^n = 0 where n is the smallest positive integer for which this is true. Now suppose it were invertible and let C be it's inverse. Then CB = I. But then 0 = CB^n = B^(n-1), a contradiction.As to your original problem, you know B^n = 0 for some n.

Start small, suppose B^2 = 0 then notice (I - B)(I + B) = I. Now suppose B^3 = 0 what's an inverse for I - B in this case? Generalize this.

Last edited:
Hmm. Why would you start out by assuming B^2 = I? Shouldn't it be 0 rather than I?

Last edited:
that was a typo thanks, fixed, should be B^2 = 0

notice (I - B)(I + B) = I
I do not understand how this leads to me getting a formula for the inverse of (I-B).
The only equation I can think of that relates to this is (I-B)^-1(I-B)=I... and I wouldn't have a clue how to change that if the powers of B were changing... any other ideas to get my brain into gear?

ircdan said:
notice (I - B)(I + B) = I.

Bob Ho said:
I do not understand how this leads to me getting a formula for the inverse of (I-B).
The only equation I can think of that relates to this is (I-B)^-1(I-B)=I... and I wouldn't have a clue how to change that if the powers of B were changing... any other ideas to get my brain into gear?
(I-B)(I+B)= I tells you that I+ B is the inverse of I-B; its product with I- B is I- that's all an inverse does.

If you don't get the idea yet, look at B3= 0. Then B3- I= -I or I-B3= I. But I- B3= (I- B)*what? Since their product is I, whatever that factor is is the inverse of I- B.

Now, can you find the general formula?

From that I'm assuming the general formula I need is I-B^k=(I-B)(I+B)?
I hope that's right, thanks a lot you are very helpful

?? Surely that's not what you meant to say! (I- B)(I+ B)= I- B2, not I- Bk for any k! Do you know the general factorization formula for xn- 1?

Similar to an old calculus problem...

You've already written "(I-B)^-1". What sorts of things have you learned in previous classes about scalar expressions like (1-B)^-1? (... or, perhaps more familiarly, 1/(1-x)?) You have seen a way to write this that depends only on powers of B, and because of the extra thing you know about B, you can ignore almost all of those powers.

In general, directly using results from scalar equations is treacherous. Nevertheless, taking an equation or expression involving less familiar objects and rewriting it in terms of more familiar objects (like using "1" in place of "I" above) may provide a starting direction for a proof.

1. What is a nilpotent matrix?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix in which every entry above the main diagonal is zero, and every entry on the main diagonal is either zero or one. Nilpotent matrices are important in linear algebra and have many applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is the proof problem for nilpotent matrices?

The proof problem for nilpotent matrices involves showing that a given matrix is nilpotent, or proving that all nilpotent matrices satisfy certain properties. This problem has been studied extensively in mathematics and has many different approaches and variations.

3. What are some common techniques for proving nilpotent matrices?

Some common techniques for proving nilpotent matrices include using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, the Jordan canonical form, and the theory of nilpotent operators. Other methods such as induction, matrix multiplication, and eigenvalues can also be used depending on the specific problem.

4. Are there any applications of nilpotent matrix proofs?

Yes, there are many applications of nilpotent matrix proofs in various fields of science and engineering. For example, in physics, nilpotent matrices are used to study quantum mechanics and in computer science, they are used in data compression algorithms. They also have applications in control theory, signal processing, and graph theory.

5. Are there any open problems related to nilpotent matrix proofs?

Yes, there are still open problems and ongoing research related to nilpotent matrix proofs. Some current areas of study include finding faster algorithms for determining if a matrix is nilpotent, exploring connections between nilpotent matrices and other areas of mathematics, and developing new applications for nilpotent matrix proofs.