Projectile Motion, Gravity, Parametrics

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a computer program to calculate when an object hits the ground on a 2d plane based on angle, speed, and optional offsets. The equation for solving without an offset is also mentioned. The correct equation for finding T when Y=0 is given, and the quadratic formula is suggested to solve for T.
seao111
Hi I am trying to make a computer program that calculates when an object hits the ground (on a 2d plane) given a certain angle (Degrees), speed (m/s), and an optional offset for x and or y. Is there a single equation i can use to solve this?

Example Equation:

X(t)=20TCos(30)
Y(t)=8+((20TCos(30))-4.9T^2)

What is T when Y=0 given the offset of y+8??

The equation for solving without an offset i believe is:

T=(2Vsin(angle))/9.8

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for the y distance is wrong. There should be a sine n there. If you want to find t you will have to solve the quadratic equation of the y distance. The time you have given is one solution to the quadratic equation when c is zero.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/traj.html#tra6

seao111 said:
Hi I am trying to make a computer program that calculates when an object hits the ground (on a 2d plane) given a certain angle (Degrees), speed (m/s), and an optional offset for x and or y. Is there a single equation i can use to solve this?

Example Equation:

X(t)=20TCos(30)
Y(t)=8+((20TCos(30))-4.9T^2)

What is T when Y=0 given the offset of y+8??

The equation for solving without an offset i believe is:

T=(2Vsin(angle))/9.8
As Kurdt said, one of those "cosines" should be "sine"; if the angle is the initial angle with the horizontal then the Y(t) term should involve sin(30) which is 1/2. cos(30)= sqrt(3)/2.

When Y= 0, 0= 8+ (20sin(30)T- 4.9T^2 which is the same as the quadratic equation
4.9T^2- 20sin(30)T- 8= 0. You can use the quadratic formula to solve that:
[tex]T= \frac{20sin(30)\pm\sqrt{(20sin(30))^2+ 4(4.9)(8)}}{2(4.9)}[/tex]

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space, under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does gravity affect projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. In projectile motion, gravity causes the object to follow a curved path instead of a straight line. It also affects the speed and direction of the object.

3. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of release, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

4. What is parametric projectile motion?

Parametric projectile motion is when an object is launched at an angle and the initial velocity is broken down into horizontal and vertical components. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the projectile's motion.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life applications such as sports, military operations, and space travel. It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and air resistance on moving objects.