Projectile Motion problems (don't want answers to problems)

In summary, the conversation revolves around three problems. The first problem involves finding two angles of elevation for a gun with a muzzle speed of 70 meters per second to hit an object 160 meters away, neglecting air resistance and using g = 9.8 m/sec^2 as the acceleration of gravity. The second problem involves a body of mass 9 kg moving in a circular path of radius 2 meters with a centripetal force acting on it and the magnitude of that force. The third problem is about a ball thrown at an angle of 45 degrees and landing 25 meters away, with the initial speed of the ball unknown. The question also asks for a general formula for solving these types of problems.
cortb

Homework Statement

1.A gun has a muzzle speed of 70 meters per second. Find two angles of elevation that can be used to hit an object 160 meters away.
Neglect air resistance and use g = 9.8 m / sec^{2} as the acceleration of gravity.

2.A body of mass 9 kg moves in a (counterclockwise) circular path of radius 2 meters, making one revolution every 11 seconds. You may assume the circle is in the xy-plane, and so you may ignore the third component.
A. Compute the centripetal force acting on the body.
( , )
B. Compute the magnitude of that force.

3.A ball is thrown at an angle of 45 degrees to the ground, and lands 25 meters away.
The initial speed of the ball was ... m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost and i don't even want the actual answers, i just need to understand how i would find the answers to problems like this. is there a general formula for these types of problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
and for the smaller angle i tried and got .16303 radians (which was wrong)... but i can't remember how i got it.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. It is a type of motion that can be seen in everyday life, such as a ball being thrown or a rocket being launched.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. These factors determine the trajectory and eventual landing point of the object.

3. How do you calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you find the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v02sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can also use the formula R = v0t, where t is the time of flight.

5. How do you take into account air resistance in projectile motion problems?

In most projectile motion problems, air resistance is neglected because it can be difficult to calculate. However, if air resistance is given, you can use the formula Fdrag = ½ρACv2, where Fdrag is the force of air resistance, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and v is the object's velocity. This force can then be incorporated into the equations for projectile motion to get a more accurate result.