Composite Matrix Transformation - Reflection

In summary, the two reflections in the euclidean plane have standard matrices that are both a rotation by an angle of _ radians, and the product of the two standard matrices is not 1.
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Let T1 be the reflection about the line 2x–5y=0 and T2 be the reflection about the line –4x+3y=0 in the euclidean plane.
(i) The standard matrix of T1 o T2 is: ?

Thus T1 o T2 is a counterclockwise rotation about the origin by an angle of _ radians?

(ii) The standard matrix of T2 o T1 is: ?

Thus T2 o T1 is a counterclockwise rotation about the origin by an angle of _ radians?

Homework Equations

I think these equations are correct...

T(v) = A(v)

Reflection:
A =
[((2(u_1))^2)), (2(u_1)(u_2)))
(2(u_1)(u_2)), ((2(u_2))^2))]
*u being the unit vectors

Rotation counterclockwise:
A =
[cosx -sinx
sinx cosx]

S o T is the matrix Transformation with matrix AB

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I understood this, but again, I guess I've understood something incorrectly.

For the first question, I got the unit vectors to be:
[(5/sqrt29)], (2/sqrt29)] and [(3/5), (4/5)] for T_1 and T_2 respectively.
I then got the standard matrix A of T_1 to be:
[(21/29) (20/29)
(20/29) (-21/29)]
and the standard matrix B of T_2 to be:
[(-7/25) (24/25)
(24/25) (7/25)]

I then took AB = the dot product of these matrices to get:
[(333/6350) (644/6350)
(-644/6350) (333/6350)]

I did similar for the second part, but I'll spare all the numbers, since I'm messing something up...

Further, how would I go about getting the radians? I know the formula for counterclockwise rotation, but wouldn't know how to come up with the radians of such a number...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recognize your formula for the reflection matrix so what I would do is this.
<3, 4> is a vector in the direction of the line -4x+ 3y= 0 and <-4, 3> is a vector perpendicular to it. The reflection in that line maps <3, 4> into itself and <-4, 3> into its negative, <4, -3> Setting up the two equations
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}3 \\ 4\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c}3 \\ 4\end{array}\right][/tex]
and
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}-4 \\ 3\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c}4 \\ -3\end{array}\right][/tex]
gives 4 equations for a, b, c, d. I get
[tex]A= \left[\begin{array}{cc}\frac{-7}{25} & \frac{24}{25} \\ \frac{14}{25} & \frac{7}{25}\end{array}\right][/tex]
for the first reflection.

You can do the same for the second reflection and, of course, their composition is the product of the matrices.

I don't believe
[(333/6350) (644/6350)
(-644/6350) (333/6350)]

is correct because its determinant is not 1, which must be true for a rotation matrix.

Hi,

Thanks again HallsofIvy.

I used the unit vectors in my formula, and it seems to come out with the same answer; except I tried the technique you gave and I still come up with
[(-7/25) (24/25)
(24/25) (7/25)]
for the second Matrix.

I guess I'm making some calculation error, as
[(333/6350) (644/6350)
(-644/6350) (333/6350)]
Is the matrix I get from the product AB...

Thanks!

1. What is a composite matrix transformation?

A composite matrix transformation is a mathematical operation that combines multiple transformations, such as translation, rotation, and reflection, into a single matrix. This matrix can then be applied to a set of points or objects to transform them in a specific way.

2. What is reflection in a composite matrix transformation?

In a composite matrix transformation, reflection is a transformation that flips an object or set of points across a line, known as the reflection line. This can be thought of as a mirror image of the original object or points.

3. How is reflection represented in a composite matrix transformation?

Reflection is represented in a composite matrix transformation by a specific type of matrix known as a reflection matrix. This matrix has a specific structure and contains values that determine the orientation and position of the reflection line.

4. Can you provide an example of a composite matrix transformation with reflection?

One example of a composite matrix transformation with reflection is reflecting a shape across the y-axis. This would involve combining a translation transformation to move the shape to the origin, followed by a reflection transformation using a reflection matrix with its reflection line along the y-axis, and finally a translation transformation to move the shape back to its original position.

5. What are some applications of composite matrix transformation with reflection?

Composite matrix transformation with reflection has many applications in computer graphics, animation, and geometric modeling. It is used to create symmetrical designs, simulate mirrors and reflections in virtual environments, and transform objects in 3D space. It is also used in physics simulations and image processing techniques.