Magnetic Flux Density and the Relationship to Force and Units

In summary, the conversation was about the formula for calculating the force on a wire in a magnetic field (F = BILsin(theta)). The focus of the discussion was on the unit for magnetic field strength, B, which is measured in Tesla's. The question was raised about the validity of 1T = 1NmA, with the clarification that m represents meters and A represents amperes. It was concluded that the statement should actually be 1T = 1N/mA to maintain consistency with the units. The conversation ended with the confirmation that there was no dot in the original statement and the plan to inform the teacher about the correction.
maccaman
My physics teacher today taught my class the formula with magnetic flux density...

Force on a wire in a magnetic field

F = BILsin(theta)

the part i am enquiring about is the B
in which he explained to be

B is the magnetic field strength (measured in Tesla's)

He also said 1T = 1NmA

I enquired about how could this be, because then Force would not be equal to Newtons. I revised it to be 1T = 1N/mA

Note: m is meters, and A is amperes, not milliampers for mA, just saying.

Can anyone tell me if i am right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you are correct. If your professor had a little dot in between the N and mA, he would technically be correct too, since a lot of times ratios of units use the little dot, which you could have mistook for multiplication.

thankyou, nah he didnt have a dot there, i will tell him on monday, cus he seemed to be puzzled by it too, thanks alot

1. What is magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux density, also known as magnetic induction or B-field, is a measurement of the strength of a magnetic field. It is defined as the amount of magnetic flux passing through a unit area perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic flux density measured?

Magnetic flux density is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device contains a sensor that can detect changes in magnetic fields, and can be used to measure the strength of the magnetic field at a particular location.

3. What are the units for magnetic flux density?

The SI unit for magnetic flux density is the tesla (T). However, it is also commonly measured in gauss (G) or microtesla (μT).

4. How does magnetic flux density affect materials?

The strength of the magnetic flux density can affect the behavior of materials in a magnetic field. Materials with higher magnetic permeability will be more strongly affected by a magnetic field, while materials with low magnetic permeability will be less affected.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux density is used in a variety of applications, including magnetic levitation, magnetic recording, and medical imaging. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electrical motors and generators.