Converting noise into electrical energy

In summary, the idea is not very practical because it would only be useful for small amounts of electricity.
http://personal.stevens.edu/~mmohdisa/about.html [Broken]

Beyond this, there is now a capsule that generates microvoltage from low-frequency sound that powers implanted medical devices.

The tech is new. It will evolve. I envision a transfer process or interface that would further the efficiency of the process. If the SPL can be transferred to a more effective conductor (liquid) I could see it being harvested more expressly.

I keep watching with fascination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keith Edward said:
http://personal.stevens.edu/~mmohdisa/about.html [Broken]

Beyond this, there is now a capsule that generates microvoltage from low-frequency sound that powers implanted medical devices.

The tech is new. It will evolve. I envision a transfer process or interface that would further the efficiency of the process. If the SPL can be transferred to a more effective conductor (liquid) I could see it being harvested more expressly.

I keep watching with fascination.

Did you read the conclusions? The Power levels involved are laughable (of course) in the results. Why would you expect that a "more effective conductor" would help? What new principle would it all be based on? They have used their resonators in an attempt to match the impedance of the incoming sound to their energy converter and they have a detectable amount (but so does any microphone) but they do not claim to be getting any more energy than is actually available.
Do you really believe that 'somewhere out there' there is a vast amount of acoustic power? If there were then we would be deafened!

Last edited by a moderator:
LastTimelord said:
Noise is not a very large amount of energy at all. If a person were to scream as loud as they could for 5 years, they will have produced enough energy in noise to heat a cup of coffee.

If you go into some cafes, you would have to scream a lot longer than that before you were served?

kthouz said:
Hello everyone!
I have an idea of making a device that can convert noise into electrical energy.
In many fields (industries, cars, construction machines,...), some used machines make much noise, then I thought as sound (noise) causes mechanical energy, why not convert that mechanical into electrical energy as microphones do to convert the sound into electrical signals? But here, i would like that device to be more efficient than a microphone.
So if anyone worked on the same project or knows something about it that can be helpful, please let me know.
Thank you.
I will be posting here what I've done so far.

i want more information relating to this concept so pls most how to start this project

fzlsm said:
i want more information relating to this concept so pls most how to start this project

I should read all the posts on this thread before you get too enthusiastic about the idea. You really need to consider just how many mW you might hope to harvest. Some people who have contributed don't seem to be aware of the significance of the actual quantities involved.

hey i also have the same idea but i am confused from where to start and what concept to use. please help me

Google "energy harvesting".

These days it is possible to make things like wireless sensors that power themselves by harvesting energy in various forms (heat, sound, vibration etc). This is mainly because advances in low power electronics allows microprocessors to run on very little power.

Just bear in mind that the law of conservation of energy applies. If you invent a magic box that harvests energy it won't be able to deliver more energy than is available to be harvested.

fzlsm said:

sanju paul said:
hey i also have the same idea but i am confused from where to start and what concept to use. please help me

Just bear in mind that the available energy from sources other than the 'big ones' like sunlight, wind etc., it very very little and there's nothing you can do about that. My grandson has a Science kit which gave him the appropriate metal rods to stick in a couple of oranges and it will just power a small digital clock - and oranges are not free - although someone 'harvested' them.
Think small and you will not be disappointed. Phone charging?? I don't think so, under many circumstances.

isnt it time for this thread to be locked ?

8 pages of round and round in circles

none of these question posters seem to be willing to listen to reality or do the maths and see how pointless the idea is

Dave

davenn, Agreed!

Bobbywhy

Agreed.

<h2>1. What is the process of converting noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>The process of converting noise into electrical energy involves using a device called a transducer, which converts mechanical energy (sound waves) into electrical energy. The transducer contains a diaphragm that vibrates when exposed to sound waves, and this vibration is then converted into an electrical signal.</p><h2>2. What types of noise can be converted into electrical energy?</h2><p>Any type of noise that creates vibrations can potentially be converted into electrical energy. This includes sound waves from human voices, music, traffic, and even wind or ocean waves.</p><h2>3. How efficient is the conversion of noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>The efficiency of the conversion depends on the type of transducer used and the quality of the sound waves. Generally, the efficiency is low, with only a small percentage of the sound energy being converted into electrical energy.</p><h2>4. What are some practical applications of converting noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>One practical application is in the field of renewable energy. Sound energy can be harnessed from busy urban areas or near transportation routes to generate electricity. It can also be used in noise-cancelling headphones or microphones, where the sound waves are converted into electrical signals to cancel out background noise.</p><h2>5. Are there any potential drawbacks to converting noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>One potential drawback is that the conversion process can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity, which can impact the performance of the transducer. Additionally, the conversion efficiency is low, so it may not be a reliable source of energy on its own.</p>

1. What is the process of converting noise into electrical energy?

The process of converting noise into electrical energy involves using a device called a transducer, which converts mechanical energy (sound waves) into electrical energy. The transducer contains a diaphragm that vibrates when exposed to sound waves, and this vibration is then converted into an electrical signal.

2. What types of noise can be converted into electrical energy?

Any type of noise that creates vibrations can potentially be converted into electrical energy. This includes sound waves from human voices, music, traffic, and even wind or ocean waves.

3. How efficient is the conversion of noise into electrical energy?

The efficiency of the conversion depends on the type of transducer used and the quality of the sound waves. Generally, the efficiency is low, with only a small percentage of the sound energy being converted into electrical energy.

4. What are some practical applications of converting noise into electrical energy?

One practical application is in the field of renewable energy. Sound energy can be harnessed from busy urban areas or near transportation routes to generate electricity. It can also be used in noise-cancelling headphones or microphones, where the sound waves are converted into electrical signals to cancel out background noise.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to converting noise into electrical energy?

One potential drawback is that the conversion process can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity, which can impact the performance of the transducer. Additionally, the conversion efficiency is low, so it may not be a reliable source of energy on its own.