Distances, compactification & Möbius transformations

In summary, the speaker's question is about computing distances between points on a one-dimensional Euclidean submanifold, and their idea involves using a Möbius transformation to map the points onto a circle. However, there are multiple distance functions that can be used on a compactified manifold, and the shortest arc length may not be the most suitable in this case. Additionally, conformal mappings do not always have a unique notion of distance, arc-length, or area.
mnb96
Hi,
I have two points on a one-dimensional Euclidean submanifold, say the x-axis.
I want to assume that this subspace is kind of "cyclic". This is often accomplished with the compactification [tex]R\cup \{ \infty \}[/tex]

The question is: How can I compute distances (up to some constant factor) between two points taking into account this sort of "cyclicness" ?

My idea was to use the complex plane, translate the x-axis vertically so that it passes through the point [tex](0,i)[/tex] and apply a Möbius transformation [tex]1/z[/tex]. Now all the points [tex]z=x+i[/tex] where [tex]x\in R[/tex] are mapped onto a circle, and I could use the shortest arc between the two corresponding points.
- Is this actually correct?
- Is the "shortest arc" length the correct metric to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to follow what you're trying to do without some background.
Firstly if you are taking a non-compact one dimensional submanifold of the Euclidean plane and then compactifying it, you may as well be taking one dimensional submanifolds of the sphere.

There are a whole lot of different notions of distance on the sphere; the standard notion of distance being inherited from its standard embedding in Euclidean 3 space. Then your one dimensional submanifolds (circles) inherit a metric from whatever one you have on the sphere.

Your suggestion gives a distance function (but so do a boat-load of others), but it is of course different to the distance function in the Euclidean plane (since all distances between points on a circle are finite, but distances along the x-axis are arbitrarily big).

So to summarise: there is no "correct" metric to use. It depends on the context. I'm pretty sure your idea is a metric, but it is by no means the only one.

You are right, I have to formalize my question better. I'll try now.

I want to consider a one dimensional manifold (the x-axis) in which the segment-of-arc length is given by some metric; for the sake of simplicity let's assume it is an Euclidean metric. So for any pair of points [tex](a,b) [/tex] on the x-axis, we have their distance is [tex]d_{a,b}=\sqrt{(a-b)^2} [/tex]

Now let´s consider the compactification [tex]R\cup\{\infty\}[/tex].
I want to define a mapping [tex]f : R\cup\{\infty\} \rightarrow \mathcal{S}^1[/tex] or, why not, more generally as you suggested [tex]f : R\cup\{\infty\} \rightarrow \mathcal{S}^2[/tex]. In both cases we would be mapping into circles.

The Möbius transformation I used, is indeed a (conformal) mapping of that kind, however it distorts the space.
I want to compare the transformed points by using a distance [tex]d'[/tex] which is equivalent to the Euclidean one.

Two distances [tex]d[/tex] and [tex]d'[/tex] are said to be equivalent when for any two pairs of points (a,b) and (c,d):

[tex]d_{a,b}=d_{c,d} \Leftrightarrow d'_{a,b}=d'_{c,d}[/tex]

In this sense the shortest-arc that I proposed, is not suitable!
BTW, if any conformal mapping (Möbius transformation) is a curvilinear coordinates system, shouldn't it be always possible to define arc-length, area elements, geodesics, etc...?

Last edited:
That all sounds perfectly reasonable.

In order for a map to be defined as conformal both the range and domain must be Riemannian manifolds; so they certainly have geodesics, but they do not in general have a unique notion of distance, and hence arc-length or area. (You can always have a topological metric on any manifold, and hence a notion of arc-length, etc. - depending on your definition of manifold.)

1. What is the concept of distance in mathematics?

Distance in mathematics is a measure of the separation between two points in a space. It is typically represented by a positive numerical value and can be calculated using various methods, such as the Pythagorean theorem or the distance formula.

2. What is compactification and why is it important?

Compactification is the process of adding additional points or "points at infinity" to a space in order to make it a compact space. This is important because compact spaces have nice properties that allow for easier analysis and calculations, and they also arise naturally in many areas of mathematics, such as topology and algebraic geometry.

3. What are Möbius transformations and how are they related to complex numbers?

Möbius transformations are a type of transformation or mapping that preserves angles and circles on the complex plane. They are commonly used in complex analysis and geometry, and can be expressed using complex numbers in the form of (az+b)/(cz+d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers.

4. Can Möbius transformations be used to map one shape to another?

Yes, Möbius transformations can be used to transform one shape to another on the complex plane. This is because they preserve angles and circles, allowing for smooth and predictable transformations of shapes.

5. How are Möbius transformations related to the concept of infinity?

Möbius transformations have a special property where they map the complex plane onto itself, including the point at infinity. This means that they can be used to study and understand the behavior of functions at infinity, and they also have applications in complex analysis, number theory, and other areas of mathematics where infinity plays a role.