An expansion/interval of convergence problem

• Thread starter Bob Busby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the function f(x) = |x| is not differentiable at x=0, so a Taylor Expansion using derivatives is not possible. However, through clever substitution, a polynomial expansion of f(x) can be obtained as 1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3 for a certain interval of convergence. This formula was derived by expanding sqrt(1-x) and plugging in (-x^2+1) for x. The interval of convergence was found to be (-1,1) by differentiating sqrt(1-x) and noticing singularities at x=1. The given
Bob Busby

Homework Statement

The function f(x) = |x| is not differentiable at x = 0, so computing a Taylor Expansion of this function just isn't possible by taking derivatives of |x|. Through the use of clever substitution, you can still obtain the polynomial expansion of this function to be:

f(x) = |x| = 1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3

for a certain interval of convergence. Establish this formula and the interval of convergence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I went about solving this by expanding sqrt(1-x) and plugging in (-x^2 + 1) for x. This gave me the expansion:

1 - (1/2(1-x^2) - (1/8)(1 - x^2)^2 - (1/16)(1-x^2)^3

This is not the given expansion but I graph it and it is a better approximation than the given expansion.

In order to find the interval of convergence I differentiated sqrt(1-x) and notice that its derivatives all have singularities at x = 1. Does this mean that the interval of convergence for the absolute value function I found is (-1, 1).? Also, I like my expansion better, but does anyone know how to find the given expansion?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob Busby Hi !

I don't nearly understand where you got this:

f(x) = |x| = 1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3

it doesn't seem strange to you? :)

1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3 <-- this does not equals |x|, try to plot it on a graph, and in no way behaves like the function "absolute value of x" (|x|) they are both even functions that's it.

May be you can simulate |x| by sqrt(x^2) but i don't think you can write it in a closed form as a Taylor expansion.

Bob Busby said:
Also, I like my expansion better, but does anyone know how to find the given expansion?

Try expanding sqrt(x^2) about x=1.

1. What is an expansion/interval of convergence problem?

An expansion/interval of convergence problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the range of values for which a given mathematical series will converge, or approach a specific value. This is typically done by expanding the series into its component terms and determining the range of values for which each term will converge.

2. How is an expansion/interval of convergence problem solved?

An expansion/interval of convergence problem is typically solved by using various mathematical techniques, such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test, to determine the convergence of the series. These tests involve evaluating the terms of the series and determining if they approach zero or a finite value as the number of terms increases.

3. What is the importance of solving an expansion/interval of convergence problem?

Solving an expansion/interval of convergence problem is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to determine the range of values for which a given series is valid. This can help in making accurate predictions and calculations in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What challenges may arise when solving an expansion/interval of convergence problem?

One of the main challenges in solving an expansion/interval of convergence problem is determining the convergence of the series when the terms do not approach a specific value or zero. In these cases, more advanced mathematical techniques may be required, or the series may not have a valid solution.

5. Can an expansion/interval of convergence problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an expansion/interval of convergence problem can have multiple solutions. This is especially true when the series has a complex or oscillating pattern, which can result in different intervals of convergence for different parts of the series. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and limitations of the given series to determine all possible solutions.