Solving Exact Differentials: Confused by Independent Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the use of dependent and independent variables in a math review. The excerpt explains that any of the three variables, x, y, and z, can be chosen as the independent variable, and the other two will be dependent on it. The speaker questions how this can be possible, but acknowledges that it may be a simple misunderstanding. The response clarifies that the lines between dependent and independent variables may not always be clear, and they are mainly used for the purpose of describing functions and variables in differentiation. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their explanation.
Saladsamurai
I am reading a math review in my thermodynamics text and I a little confused by this. Here is the excerpt:

Doc-9_1_104_56PM-page-1.jpg

I am confused by the part where it says
For example ... consider 3 quantities x, y, and z, any of which may be selected as the independent variables. Thus we can write x = x(y, z) and y = y(x, z).

If they selected x = (y, z) then isn't that saying that x is dependent on y? So how can we just turn around and say y = y(x, z) ? That is, if we selected x as dependent in the first function, why can we turn around and call it independent in the second.

Sorry, this might be a stupid question. I just don't see why we bother calling variables independent and dependent in a situation like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a simple example if you had the equation x+y+z=0 you could write any variable as a function of the other two quite simply.

The dependent/independent lines are obviously blurred here; you just use them for the purposes of being able to describe what counts as a function and what's being considered as a variable when differentiating

Office_Shredder said:
As a simple example if you had the equation x+y+z=0 you could write any variable as a function of the other two quite simply.

The dependent/independent lines are obviously blurred here; you just use them for the purposes of being able to describe what counts as a function and what's being considered as a variable when differentiating

Office Shredder strikes again! Thanks boss. This explanation makes great sense. I figured I was over-analyzing the words here.

Thanks again!
~Casey

What is an exact differential?

An exact differential is a mathematical expression that represents the change in a function due to small changes in its independent variables. It is also known as a total differential.

How do you determine if a differential is exact?

To determine if a differential is exact, you can use the method of checking if the mixed partial derivatives of the function are equal. If they are equal, then the differential is exact.

What is the difference between an exact and an inexact differential?

An exact differential can be integrated to give a single-valued function, while an inexact differential cannot. Inexact differentials are also known as non-integrable differentials.

How do you solve an exact differential?

To solve an exact differential, you can use the method of integration. This involves finding the antiderivative of the differential and then adding a constant of integration.

Can a differential ever be both exact and inexact?

No, a differential cannot be both exact and inexact. This is because if a differential is exact, its mixed partial derivatives are equal and it can be integrated to give a single-valued function. If it is inexact, its mixed partial derivatives are not equal and it cannot be integrated.