Photon Emission: Atom Collapse & Radial Forces Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the explanation for why electrons in an atom emit photons and how this affects the size of their orbits. It is clarified that electrons do not simply drop to a lower state, but rather jump to higher states when energy is added to the system. The photons emitted when they return to their normal state are what we see as light in neon signs and fluorescent lighting. There is no spontaneous collapsing of electron shells or atoms.
v_pino
I'm sure I've heard the explanation for this before in class but I can't quite remember it:

If electrons of an atom emit photons (ie lose energy), the orbits of the electrons will become smaller, right?

If so, wouldn't the atom eventually collapse? What radially outward force keeps the atom from collapsing or what external energy excite electrons back to a higher state?

Also, wouldn't the attractive force between electrons and protons in the nucleus "collapse" the atom as well?

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Please start by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

hey Zapperz :)

reading that didnt really give me the answer I expected

to briefly answer v_pino's question in a basic way...

you have to take a step backwards... electrons don't just drop to a lower state, that is from the normal shell it resides into a lower shell.
Rather ... the addition of energy into the system will cause electrons to "jump" to a higher shell. Its when the electon drops back to its "normal" shell that it is loosing energy that is emitted as a photon (and prob other particles).

basic example... think of a neon sign or fluorescent lighting tube. energy in the form of electricity in being "injected" into the gas filled tube causing electrons of the atoms of gas to jump to higher shells as the electrons drop back down they emit photons and we see the light

so no spontaneously collapsing electron shells or atoms :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

1. What is photon emission?

Photon emission is the process by which an atom releases energy in the form of a photon, a packet of electromagnetic radiation. This can occur when an atom transitions from a higher energy state to a lower energy state.

2. How does an atom collapse?

An atom collapses when the electrons in its outer energy levels transition to lower energy levels closer to the nucleus. This can occur spontaneously or through interactions with other particles or energy sources.

3. What causes an atom to emit a photon?

When an electron transitions from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, it releases the excess energy in the form of a photon. This can happen due to collisions with other particles, absorption of energy, or spontaneous decay.

4. How do radial forces play a role in photon emission?

Radial forces, such as the Coulomb force between the positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electrons, play a crucial role in an atom's stability and electron transitions. These forces determine the energy levels of the electrons and can influence the likelihood of photon emission.

5. Can photon emission be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, photon emission can be controlled or manipulated through various methods, such as changing the energy levels of the electrons through external stimuli or using specialized materials that can amplify or redirect photon emission. This is crucial for many technological applications, such as lasers and LED lights.