Finding Volume Using Triple Integrals with Non-Standard Limits

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a region in the first octant bounded above by the surface z=4-x^2-y and below by the plane z=3. The correct answer is 4/15. The volume can be calculated using a double integral or a triple integral, with the region of integration being the intersection of the two surfaces projected onto the first quadrant of the XY plane. The solution involves changing the limits of integration and setting the two surfaces equal to each other to find the region of integration.
bob29

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region in the 1st octant bounded above by the surface z=4-x^2-y and below by the plane z=3.
Answer = 4/15

Homework Equations

V = [tex]\int\int\int dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble determining the upper and lower z limits.
I partly don't understand what to do, is the function z=3 or z=4-x^2-y that I am integrating.

[tex] \int_0^2 \int_0^{4-x^{2}} \int_0^3 \left (1) \right dz.dy.dx [/tex]
skipping the tedious integration working out.
V=16 which is not the right answer.

I just realized my diagram is wrong, as I drew it as a parabola concave down in the wrong plane.
I've written the new integral as
[tex] \int_0^2 \int_0^{4-x^{2}} \int_0^{3} \left (4-x^2-y) \right dz.dy.dx [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IMHO, this problem is easier with a double integral:

[tex]V = \iint_{\mathcal{D}} (z_2(x, y) - z_1(x, y))dA[/tex]​

where [tex]z_2(x, y) - z_1(x, y)[/tex] is the surface which is on top minus the surface which bounds the volume from below. That is, [tex]z_2(x, y) - z_1(x, y) = 4 - x^2 - y - 3 = 1 - x^2 - y[/tex]. The region of integration [tex]\mathcal{D}[/tex] is what the intersection of the two surfaces projects onto the first quadrant of the XY plane. That is, we set the z's of the two surfaces equal:

[tex]z_2(x, y) = z_1(x, y) \Rightarrow y = 1 - x^2[/tex]​

so the region bounded by [tex]x = 0[/tex], [tex]y = 0[/tex] and the graph of the function [tex]y = 1 - x^2[/tex].

[tex]\mathcal{D} \equiv \{(x, y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x \geq 0,~ 0 \leq y \leq 1 - x^2 \}.[/tex]​

So, we have

[tex]V = \iint_{\mathcal{D}} (z_2(x, y) - z_1(x, y))dydx = \int_0^1 \int_0^{1 - x^2} (1 - x^2 - y) dydx[/tex]​

This integral is easy - I haven't done it, but I checked with my calculator and indeed, it does yield the answer you gave.

Good luck!

PS: If you notice, you can easily carry over to a triple integral, by adding an extra integral in [tex]z[/tex], with a lower limit of [tex]z = 3[/tex] and an upper limit of [tex]z = 4 - x^2 - y[/tex], and leaving rest of the double integral as it is. So,

[tex]V = \iiint_{\mathcal{V}} dzdydx = \int_0^1 \int_0^{1 - x^2} \int_3^{4 - x^2 - y} dzdydx[/tex]​

and you get the same double integral when performing the first integration in [tex]z[/tex].

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I was wondering where I was going wrong, it was my x and y limits which I forgot to change. I'm not used to getting this type of question i.e where z=3.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of the concept of a single and double integral, used to calculate the volume under a 3-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function over a 3-dimensional region in space.

How do I determine the limits of a triple integral?

The limits of a triple integral depend on the shape and orientation of the region being integrated over. It is important to sketch the region and determine the bounds for each variable by looking at the intersection points of the surfaces that make up the region.

What is the order of integration for a triple integral?

The order of integration for a triple integral can be written as either dy dx dz, dx dy dz, dz dx dy, etc. The order is determined by the shape of the region and the function being integrated. It is important to choose the order that simplifies the integral and makes it easier to evaluate.

Can I change the order of integration for a triple integral?

Yes, the order of integration can be changed as long as the limits for each variable remain the same. However, the resulting integral may be more complex and difficult to evaluate. It is important to choose an appropriate order from the start to avoid unnecessary complications.

What are some common applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of 3-dimensional objects, such as tanks, pipes, and buildings. They are also used in calculus and statistics to calculate probabilities of 3-dimensional events and to find the center of mass of a 3-dimensional object.