Kinetic energy after the collision

In summary: Can someone explain this to me please?This is an inelastic collision. The KE after the collision is less than the KE before.
dg_5021
Suppose the air cart to the left has a mass of .750kg and an initial speed of .455m/s. The cart to the right is initially at rest and has a mass of .275kg. Find the velocity of the center of mass. (a) before and (b) after the carts collide and stick together (c)Find to kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision.

(a)((.750kg)(.455 m/s) +(.275kg)(0m/s))/(.750kg+ .275kg) = .332927 m/s

(b)((.750kg)(.455 m/s) +(.275kg)(0m/s))/(.750kg+ .275kg) = .332927 m/s

(c)ki= (1/2) (.750kg)(.455m/s)^2 + (1/2)(.275kg)(0)^2 = .077634 J

i don't know how to get the kinetic energy of the system after the collision? can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
dg_5021 said:
i don't know how to get the kinetic energy of the system after the collision? can someone help me out?
You found the speed of the center of mass. Now you get to use it.

i really can't see that the amount of kinetic energy before and after the collision are equal.. They really are not. I'm really confused with this. I need help.

I computed for the amount of kinetic energy after collision and found it to be .0568 J. It does not really tally with the initial kinetic energy which is .0776 J. Please help.

Last edited:
samelliz said:
i really can't see that the amount of kinetic energy before and after the collision are equal.. They really are not. I'm really confused with this. I need help.

I computed for the amount of kinetic energy after collision and found it to be .0568 J. It does not really tally with the initial kinetic energy which is .0776 J. Please help.

Is this an elastic collision, or an in-elastic collision?

ok i got it. the example given above is an inelastic collision so the KE after it less than the KE before. But I've encountered lots of problems involving elastic collisions but really i never computed KE as equal.

What is kinetic energy after a collision?

Kinetic energy after a collision refers to the energy that an object possesses due to its motion after colliding with another object. It is a measure of the object's ability to do work.

How is kinetic energy after a collision calculated?

Kinetic energy after a collision is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity.

How does kinetic energy change after a collision?

The kinetic energy of an object can change after a collision depending on various factors such as the objects' masses, velocities, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy remains the same, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or heat.

What factors affect the kinetic energy after a collision?

The kinetic energy after a collision is affected by the objects' masses, velocities, and the type of collision. Other factors that may affect it include the objects' shapes, surface properties, and external forces.

Why is understanding kinetic energy after a collision important?

Understanding kinetic energy after a collision is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and automotive safety. It allows us to predict the outcome of a collision and design safer and more efficient systems.