Which states are facing the toughest budget cuts for higher education?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    budget
In summary, states that are seeing budget cuts may see a decrease in the quality of graduate school experiences.
Simfish
Gold Member
So it seems that some states will see more massive budget cuts than others - cuts that may make admissions more competitive and that may decrease the quality of the graduate school experience. Since stimulus funds are ending, this will only make the budget cuts hurt even more.

Does anyone have more information about which states are seeing hard budget cuts, especially those that are relevant for graduate education?

In particular, I'm concerned about Wisconsin and Pennsylvania (Penn State).

As a reference, I do go to a school (Washington) that saw budget cuts more severe than those at other schools. Its quality has not declined and its competitiveness did not increase yet. It was able to increase tuition to the point that the cuts only took 10% out of the university's budget, so the university could afford to make the "easy cuts". However, the stimulus has shielded a lot of the impact from universities, and further budget cuts (which will happen) may be more problematic.

For some more information, I posted a similar thread a year ago at http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3302.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like Penn State might be hit hard:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110310/ap_on_re_us/us_drilling_vs_diplomas;_ylt=AqibFk544dZ6kZjz4p.Qf81H2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTNkcmlodGpyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMzEwL3VzX2RyaWxsaW5nX3ZzX2RpcGxvbWFzBGNjb2RlA21wX2VjXzhfMTAEY3BvcwMxMARwb3MDMTAEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNwYWdvdnNkZWVwaGk-

But Penn State has never faced a cut as severe as the one Corbett proposed, said Spanier, calling it the most dramatic appropriation cut in the history of U.S. higher education.

This year the school received $330 million from the state and had requested $360 million next year; Corbett proposed $165 million. That figure stunned university officials, Spanier said.

==

Much harder than Wisconsin:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/117193223.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaisch (Ohio) will present his budget request soon, and it is expected the legislature will approve it as-is. We don't know what the cuts will be, but my institution is using a working figure of a 20% cut in state support (which works out to $12M). While Ohio's budget is biannual, this cut will occur in year 1, and effectively re-baseline the annual budget in future years.

CSU has a budget task force that has been meeting weekly for the past few months and has developed a few scenarios to deal with the cut (also, different Ohio state universities may be cut by different amounts), and since the budget has not been released there's no 'official' statement, but the working plan is for my college to be spared the worst of the cuts (we get a 3-5% cut) while other colleges get cut a lot more- and that's just academics; academic support and facilities are also getting deep cuts.

At the micro level, my Department is facing a $16k cut- something that we can handle, but it's not clear how that cut will get implemented. Personally, my goal is to get external funding to cover 1 or 2 graduate students. Of course, with the federal budget frozen, all of that is on hold.

This is part of the story. The other part is that university budgets are huge. Penn State has a $4B budget. You have to put the state budget in context. How the university will deal with what amounts to a 4% cut will vary from university to university.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is part of the story. The other part is that university budgets are huge. Penn State has a $4B budget. You have to put the state budget in context. How the university will deal with what amounts to a 4% cut will vary from university to university.

I'm not sure what you mean (or even if this was directed at my comment). The Ohio budget deficit is somewhere between $8-$10B. Like the federal government, Kaisch has vowed not to raise taxes- he wants to cut taxes. Also like the federal government, some programs will get cut (proportionally) more than others. And finally, like the federal government, there has been a complete lack of any meaningful discussion about priorities.

The point is that even "state" universities no longer get the majority of their funding from the state. This dilutes (but of course does eliminate) the effect of state cuts.

Vanadium 50 said:
The point is that even "state" universities no longer get the majority of their funding from the state. This dilutes (but of course does eliminate) the effect of state cuts.

Yes, that's true- a 20% cut in state support represents about 8% of our total budget. It's also why the legislative bills changing collective bargaining agreements in Wisconsin and Ohio are important- who allocates the cuts? Does the faculty have the right to help decide? Again, at my institution the faculty have been very involved, and as a result most of the cuts are not being made to academic programs.

Last edited:
Kaisch released the budget yesterday, and I tried deciphering the numbers. At first glance, it appears to be quite good news for higher education- the state subsidy is basically flat (2.7% increase). OTOH, certain specific programs (medical schools and clinical teaching programs) are uniformly cut 10%, some programs are zeroed out entirely (nothing here, tho), support for libraries, OhioLINK (journals) and the supercomputer network are cut 2.5%. The Third Frontier program (R&D) is fully funded as well.

Stay tuned...

Well this is odd- I was hoping it was a goofy rumor, but this is reported by multiple organizations:

Somewhere in the budget Kasich directs higher education to create 3-year undergraduate degree programs and modifies teaching loads.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/03/higher_education_officials_bal.html

Its not at all clear to me why these items are in a *budget* bill. Clearly, the SB5 bill dealing with changes to collective bargaining has little to do with financial matters and more to do with control over the education system: who decides the educational requirements for a BA or BS degree?

To be fair, I haven't been able to find that specifically in the budget request. Very strange...

1. How do budget cuts affect the state-by-state economy?

Budget cuts can have a significant impact on the state-by-state economy, as they often result in reduced government spending and can lead to job losses and a decrease in consumer spending. This can have a ripple effect on businesses and industries, causing a decline in economic growth.

2. What are the reasons for budget cuts in different states?

Budget cuts can occur for a variety of reasons, but some common factors include a decrease in revenue, increased government debt, and the need to balance the budget. Economic downturns and changes in government priorities can also contribute to budget cuts.

3. How do budget cuts impact public services in different states?

Budget cuts can result in reduced funding for public services, such as education, healthcare, and infrastructure. This can lead to a decrease in the quality and accessibility of these services for residents of the state.

4. What are the potential long-term effects of budget cuts on a state’s economy?

The long-term effects of budget cuts on a state’s economy can include a decrease in economic growth and job opportunities, as well as a decline in the overall quality of life for residents. It can also make it more difficult for the state to recover from economic downturns in the future.

5. How do different states prioritize their budget cuts?

Each state has its own process for determining where to make budget cuts. Some states may prioritize reducing government debt, while others may prioritize protecting certain public services. Political factors and public opinion can also play a role in the decision-making process.