Chlorophyll psychological effects

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Effects
In summary: Loren,In summary, a lamp that uses the stimulation of chlorophyll's red, lower energy states to higher energy green states in suspension may be designed to be more efficient in stimulating brain metabolism. This may be beneficial in treating Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is believed to be related to shortening daylengths and the increased production and release of melatonin during the long nights.
Loren Booda
I believe that chlorophyll's pigment can act as an antidepressant, most activated during spring plant growth (re seasonal affective disorder). A lamp may be designed which utilizes the stimulation of chlorophyll's red, lower energy states to higher energy green states in suspension. Chlorophyll's spectrum, I conjecture, activates efficiently brain metabolism via the optic nerve by encouraging ATP production.

Biology news on Phys.org
Seasonal affective disorder doesn't have to do with chlorophyll. People don't have chlorophyll, plants do. Seasonal affective disorder is believed to be related to shortening daylengths and the increased production and release of melatonin during the long nights. Simple exposure to a full-spectrum light to mimic longer daylengths seems to work well in treating SAD.

Moonbear,

The Sun is effectively a green star, whose spectrum maximizes at the frequency where chlorophyll in plants activates. Directly or indirectly, the color of chlorophyll stimulates the brain like the sun does.

The radiance of chlorophyll in an environment usually corresponds inversely to the incidence of SAD. (An exception may be in the Pacific Northwest.) Have you experienced any connection between the absence of chlorophyll and SAD's occurrence? There is even a type of SAD that occurs in the dead of summer, when desert conditions predominate.

The chlorophyll-stimulated lamp I speculated would be more efficient than a full-spectrum light, and give an effect much like being in a greenhouse.

I tend to agree more with your review of the brain chemistry involved. Full-spectrum lamps can actually cause mania in individuals subject to that condition.

Loren, I really don't think I'm understanding what you're getting at when you talk about a chlorophyll-stimulated lamp. There are old studies in rodents (ground squirrels I think) that suggest photoperiodism is affected not only by duration of light exposure, but also by the wavelengths of the light (blue light was more effective than red light in inducing photoperiodic shifts). It could be true in humans as well that symptoms of SAD could be alleviated by a narrower range of light wavelengths rather than requiring the full spectrum. Whatever wavelengths they are, they are not present in regular incandescent lighting.

As for photopigments, there was a big deal made a few years ago about melanopsin, which is a photopigment in the retina that may be the pigment we use for photic entrainment (it's not required for vision). In mammals, all photic signals are processed via the retina, there is no direct effect of light on the brain. In birds, their skulls are thin enough that photic cues can directly reach the pineal gland to entrain melatonin release, so a direct pathway as well as the retinal pathway are functioning.

Moonbear,

Thanks for your learned reply. I guess I first got stuck on this problem while leaching "chlorophyll" from leaves in benzene, noting the reflected light from the flask was green, and the transmitted light red. I thought it possible to create a laser with this solution to pump the red state to maintain the green state. Then there was the romantic notion of the first greenery of spring, and its possible alleviation of Seasonal Affective Disorder, or depression in general, by providing a similar, but artificial source of chlorophyllic emission.

The exact psycho-physiological mechanism, I would hazard, involves pigments like melanopsin. The sensitivity of the human retina matches well the visual spectrum of the Sun, so it may be suggested that the (green) peak corresponds to both chlorophyll and its visual analog.

1. What is chlorophyll and how does it affect our psychological well-being?

Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in plants that is responsible for photosynthesis. While there is limited research on the psychological effects of chlorophyll, some studies have shown that it may have potential benefits for reducing stress and anxiety, improving mood, and increasing focus.

2. Can chlorophyll supplements help with mental health conditions?

While more research is needed, some studies have shown that chlorophyll supplements may have potential benefits for individuals with mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating any supplements into your mental health treatment plan.

3. Is there a recommended dosage of chlorophyll for psychological benefits?

Currently, there is no established recommended dosage for chlorophyll for psychological benefits. It is important to follow the dosage instructions provided by the supplement manufacturer and to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.

4. Are there any potential side effects of using chlorophyll for psychological purposes?

While chlorophyll is generally considered safe, some individuals may experience mild side effects such as diarrhea, stomach cramping, and nausea. It is important to stop using chlorophyll and consult with a healthcare professional if you experience any adverse reactions.

5. Can chlorophyll improve cognitive function?

Some studies have shown that chlorophyll may have potential benefits for cognitive function, such as improving memory and attention. However, more research is needed in this area to fully understand the effects of chlorophyll on cognitive function.