How do I Find the Derivative of sin(2x)?

In summary: R} \ni a \neq 0In summary, to find the derivative of sin(2x), you can use the fact that lim h -> 0, (sin(x+h)-sin(x))/h = cos(x), and the general result lim h -> 0, (sin(x))/x = 1. Using these, you can simplify the expression until it becomes 2cos(2x).
SomeRandomGuy
To find the derivative of sin(2x). So far here is what I did:

lim h -> 0 (sin(2x+2h)-sin(2x))/h
= (sin2xcos2h+cos2xsin2h-sin2x)/h
= (2sinxcosx(cos2h-1)+2sinhcoshcos2x)/h

I'm stuck here... can't remember how to simplify this. Thanks. I also left out some steps, I don't know how to use the latex graphics yet and didn't want it to get to garbled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to use the fact that

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin{\alpha x}}{\alpha x} = 1 \ \mbox{if} \ \mathbb{R} \ni \alpha \neq 0[/tex]

? If so, it's completely trivial. Just use [tex]\sin{x} - \sin{a} = 2\cos{\frac{x+a}{2}} \sin{\frac{x-a}{2}}[/tex].

If you know
lim h -> 0, (sin(x+h)-sin(x))/h = cos(x),
then

lim h -> 0,
(sin(2x+2h)-sin(2x))/h
= (2/2)*(sin(2x+2h)-sin(2x))/h ... that is, multiply by 1 in a funny way
= 2(sin(2x+2h)-sin(2x))/(2h)
= 2(sin(X+H)-sin(X))/(H) where X=2x and H=2h (note that lim h->0 implies lim H->0)

= 2cos(X)
= 2cos(2x)

Haha, somehow I got the idea that you wanted to find the derivative of [tex]\sin{x}[/tex] (which is actually "harder"). All you need for [tex]\sin{2x}[/tex] is

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin{x}}{x} = 1[/tex]

1. What is the definition of derivative?

The derivative of a function f(x) is defined as the rate of change of the function at a specific point x. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of derivative, which involves finding the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0.

3. Why is the concept of derivative important?

The concept of derivative is important because it is used to analyze the behavior of functions and their rates of change. It also has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative if the function is decreasing at a specific point. This means that the slope of the tangent line is negative and the function is decreasing in that interval.

5. What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

While both the derivative and differential involve the concept of change in a function, the derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the differential represents the actual change in the function over an interval.