Image reduction and analysis software for windows

In summary: Please read the IRAF home page, in the "What wndow systems does IRAF run under", it explains how an old version IRAF can be used on Windows XP.
PLuz
I'm not sure if this question belongs here, if that is the case I'm sorry.

I've been desperately trying to install IRAF on windows. Nothing seems to work. I've considered installing a Linux distro but since I'm using windows 8 that is not an option. So my question is: has anyone been able to install IRAF in windows? If so, how? If not, does someone of you astronomers use an equivalent software that works on windows?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Linux is the best option for running IRAF on a pc. No native version of Windows will run IRAF. I would suggest a dual OS setup.

Now that what I was trying to avoid since online the opinion is that windows 8 doesn't like other OS. Well, Thank you for your answer.

I agree with Chronos. If you're doing science, get off of Windows and on to Linux ASAP. You can set up a dual-boot on your PC even if it's Windows 8. The two OS's are on different disk partitions and don't even know that the other one exists. Or if you're worried about that, buy a portable hard drive and install the Linux distro on that.

My recent experience on linux has been quite daunting...bumblebee, firefox crashing, and IRAF...IRAF is a real pain to install. But i followed your advice and set a dual boot. Thank you for your answers.

I keep my OS's on separate drives. If you boot off a different drive for each OS, it seems to keep them clean.

PLuz said:

I've been desperately trying to install IRAF on windows. Nothing seems to work. I've considered installing a Linux distro but since I'm using windows 8 that is not an option. So my question is: has anyone been able to install IRAF in windows? If so, how? If not, does someone of you astronomers use an equivalent software that works on windows?
Please read the IRAF home page, in the "What wndow systems does IRAF run under", it explains how an old version IRAF can be used on Windows XP
PLuz said:

1. How does image reduction and analysis software for windows work?

Image reduction and analysis software for windows uses algorithms and mathematical processes to enhance, manipulate, and analyze images. This can include processes such as noise reduction, contrast adjustment, and data extraction.

2. What are the benefits of using image reduction and analysis software for windows?

The benefits of using image reduction and analysis software for windows include the ability to enhance image quality, extract valuable data from images, and automate repetitive tasks. It also allows for precise and accurate analysis of images, making it useful for scientific research and data analysis.

3. Can image reduction and analysis software for windows be used for any type of image?

It depends on the specific software, but most image reduction and analysis software for windows can be used for a variety of image types, including digital photographs, microscopy images, and satellite images. Some software may be specialized for certain types of images, so it is important to research and choose the right software for your specific needs.

4. Is image reduction and analysis software for windows user-friendly?

Many image reduction and analysis software for windows are designed to be user-friendly, with intuitive interfaces and helpful tutorials. However, some software may have a steeper learning curve and require some technical knowledge. It is important to consider your own level of expertise and the complexity of your project when choosing software.

5. Are there free options for image reduction and analysis software for windows?

Yes, there are some free options for image reduction and analysis software for windows, such as ImageJ and GIMP. However, these may have limited features compared to paid software. It is important to research and compare different software to find the best option for your needs and budget.