An introductory book on general relativity

In summary, if you're looking for an introductory book on general relativity, I would recommend starting with Hartle and then moving on to more advanced texts.
clumps tim
hi fellas,

I want my undergrad thesis on general relativity. I need a good book on einstein field equations and its exact solutions to work with. also a book where are some solved problems and some exercises to guide me to right track
any suggestions ?
regards

Physics news on Phys.org
General Relativity by hobson, efstathiou and lasenby. It is clear but not too simple. Well explained and there is some exercise for each chapter.

Likes 1 person
clumps tim said:
hi fellas,

I want my undergrad thesis on general relativity. I need a good book on einstein field equations and its exact solutions to work with. also a book where are some solved problems and some exercises to guide me to right track
any suggestions ?
regards

Hartle
Carroll
Schutz
Dirac (very small book)
Zee

Problem Book in Relativity and Gravitation by A. Lightman

Likes Joker93
I agree with the Hartle suggestion- I think it's by far the best introductory book on GR (especially for an undergrad). If you want a bit more math maybe go with Schutz, but even then you should look into Hartle.

Also, you might enjoy these lectures (I haven't watched them myself but I assume they're ok- the SR ones were pretty good, and also quite gentle): http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/general-relativity/2012/fall

I once learned GR from Landau/Lifshitz vol. II. It also provides the necessary math of tensor calculus in pseudo-Riemannian spacetime (in the good old Ricci calculus; later you can learn the more refined modern ways via differential forms).

Another very good book is Gravitation and Cosmology by S. Weinberg. For the cosmology, however you should read his more modern treatment from 2008.

clumps tim said:
hi fellas,

any suggestions ?
regards
I would strongly suggest starting with Wheeler and Taylor's book on black holes (very pedagogical and friendly) and Hartle, as starting points. After you have digested these two you can move on to the more advanced books suggested in the other replies.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It explains how the force of gravity works by describing the relationship between matter and the curvature of spacetime.

2. Who is the target audience for an introductory book on general relativity?

An introductory book on general relativity is typically aimed at readers with a basic understanding of physics and mathematics. It can be helpful for students, scientists, and anyone interested in learning more about the theory of general relativity.

3. What are the main concepts covered in an introductory book on general relativity?

An introductory book on general relativity typically covers topics such as the principles of relativity, the equivalence principle, the geometry of spacetime, the Einstein field equations, and the prediction of phenomena such as gravitational waves and black holes.

4. Is general relativity still relevant in modern science?

Yes, general relativity is still a crucial theory in modern science. It has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, and it is essential for understanding the behavior of massive objects in the universe.

5. Are there any real-world applications of general relativity?

Yes, general relativity has numerous real-world applications. It is used in GPS technology, which relies on the precise measurement of time and space, and it is also essential for accurate predictions in space exploration and astronomy.