Bypass 3rd party driver or SDK

• Thread starter Jaynte
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of developing one's own driver for a device if not satisfied with the ones provided by the company. It is suggested to check the license agreement and potentially modify it for single customers. It is also mentioned that reverse engineering may be necessary and consulting a corporate attorney is recommended.
Jaynte
Hi

This is more a question in law rather than a programming issue. But I think here is the right place to get an answer. Could'nt get much answers from google.

Suppose I buy a device from a company and I'm not very happy with the SDK and or drivers they supply (due to bugs or whatever). Is it legal for me (or my company) to develop my own driver for communicating directly with the device firmware? Where I for example use USB snooping to figgure out the device's communication protocol.

Technology news on Phys.org
Jaynte said:
Hi

This is more a question in law rather than a programming issue. But I think here is the right place to get an answer. Could'nt get much answers from google.

Suppose I buy a device from a company and I'm not very happy with the SDK and or drivers they supply (due to bugs or whatever). Is it legal for me (or my company) to develop my own driver for communicating directly with the device firmware? Where I for example use USB snooping to figgure out the device's communication protocol.

The SDK will almost certainly come with some sort of license agreement. Have a look at that to see what is allowed in terms of modification. If you are just modifying some part of the SDK for your own use, that would probably be different than if you modified part of the device and resold a number of them (thus profiting from the partial intellectual property of the SDK developers).

Likes 1 person
Thank you berkeman. That sounds reasonable.

A follow up question then:

Is a company allowed to modify the license agreement for single customers (like me) if asked for permission to build a "custom" device?

Jaynte said:
Thank you berkeman. That sounds reasonable.

A follow up question then:

Is a company allowed to modify the license agreement for single customers (like me) if asked for permission to build a "custom" device?

I believe so. It depends on the company, and how interested they are in helping you with your product. My company fairly often does such modifications and custom license agreements, especially if it looks like it might open up new markets for our products.

The bigger the company you deal with though, generally the harder it is to do such deals. Maybe give their Customer Support folks a phone call to ask about such a license modification. Heck, in the end they may want to pay you to incorporate your improved drivers into their standard products! :smile:

Thank you, its worth a try then to talk to this supposed company :)

Jaynte said:
Is it legal for me (or my company) to develop my own driver for communicating directly with the device firmware?
In the USA it could be legal to develop your own driver, but it might require a "dirty room" / "clean room" environment. The dirty room employees are allowed to reverse engineer the product or in this case the driver. They then have to produce a document that describes the driver from an external viewpoint (it's expected outputs for given inputs), which is usually reviewed by a lawyer that's familiar with the laws and the type of product involved to make sure no copyright infringment exists within the document. If the device is using some unique proprietary protocol, that could be an issue. A company could create it's on device and it's own protocol, but I'm not sure about using an existing protocol. Links to wiki articles about reverse engineering, but you'd need to consult a corporate attorney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

Last edited:

1. What is a third party driver or SDK?

A third party driver or SDK (Software Development Kit) is a software component developed by a company or individual outside of the original manufacturer of a device or software. It is used to enhance or add functionality to the device or software.

2. Why would I want to bypass a third party driver or SDK?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to bypass a third party driver or SDK. One possible reason is that the driver or SDK may be causing issues or conflicts with other components of the device or software. Another reason could be to remove unwanted features or restrictions imposed by the third party.

3. How can I bypass a third party driver or SDK?

The method for bypassing a third party driver or SDK will vary depending on the specific device or software. In general, it may involve uninstalling the driver or SDK, modifying system settings, or using specialized tools or software. It is important to carefully research and follow the recommended steps for bypassing in order to avoid potential complications or damage to the device or software.

4. Is bypassing a third party driver or SDK legal?

It is important to check the terms of use or licensing agreements for the device or software in question. In some cases, bypassing a third party driver or SDK may be a violation of these agreements and could result in legal consequences. It is recommended to seek permission from the original manufacturer before bypassing any components.

5. Are there any risks associated with bypassing a third party driver or SDK?

There are potential risks associated with bypassing a third party driver or SDK, as it involves modifying the original configuration of the device or software. This could result in instability or malfunction of the device or software. It is important to thoroughly research and understand the potential risks before attempting to bypass a third party component.